1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

african birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mrlimpet, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    taken at the african aviary exhibit of the san francisco zoo on an overcast day. these also represent my eary attempts at processing raw images. i know these aren't near the quality that i've seen on this site but i am trying to get better so any/all comments welcomed and appreciated!

hadada ibis... 1/125, f4.0, iso320
    030PF19540125320.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

044PF10040125320.jpg

045PF10040125400.jpg

waldrapp ibis... 1/250, f8.0, iso320
    096a15080250320.jpg

1/125, f5.6, iso320
    080PF11256125320.jpg

guinea fowl... 1/125, f5.6, iso320
    083PF18556125320.jpg

superb starling... 1/125, f5.6, iso320
    superbstarlingA28056125320.jpg

2. Great shots all of them. Well done.

3. These are great and #3 is spot on. Very nice.

4. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Good shoots Robert. The zoo is a great place to practice. Next step is to go out to the bay to try some BIF! Try some seagulls and terns and then maybe some turkey vultures. I guess you will then have a good feel of your setup!

I think your processing is good. Sharpness is OK, but maybe you can try bump the mid range contrast a bit.

5. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    thank you alex and warren. :smile:

thank you william.

i have tried some BIF shots and will post some up shortly. they will be of poor quality when compared to the BIF shots i have seen here but then, how else will i learn? i hope you will provide some feedback on them. :smile:

6. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Robert, practice is important. I went shooting egrets in flight for 3 months when I started birding! Just be patient and do not set your goal too high. Try with the big guys - gulls, egrets, etc first. Try to get them when they take off. Find out the where the wind is blowing from and try to capture the birds that are flying against the wind. You'll find it a lot easier.

Then you will find yourself wanting more reach, and you'll start checking the Lens Lust section, and then you'll buy the 300/4, 80-400. 400/2.8 .. etc etc.. (Don't say I didn't warn you!)

7. mrlimpet

mrlimpet

May 12, 2006
    san francisco
    william, thanks for the tips. i practice quite a bit, too much if you ask my wife! :rolleyes: 

my camera bag is not as well-stocked as yours and likely won't be anytime soon! :frown:

i will post up some pics and you can judge for yourself how successful i've been so far, and offer up some additional tips for improvement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.