AFS lens built to last?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glas, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    I just saw Jeff's post regarding his AFS motor failing and also a seller on ebay that has had his AFS failed on his 80-200mm. Is it a common occurrence for AFS lens?

2. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I hope not as I have another one:)

I've seen a few posts here, Dp, and Nikonians. Nothing epidemic but it does happen. I am going to look at getting some type of insurance coverage after the warranty is over.

Funny thing is that I'd never had known except for taking off the TC. I bet I've taken 10 or 15K shots with lens and 99.9 % have been with the 1.4 attached.

I don't think I'd worry given the number of 300's that have been sold and how few problems you see.

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It is a motor, so failures will occur. Given the number of units out there and the few reports, I'd say it's about what would be expected statistically.

4. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    i've had 3- 18-135's come by the shop with dead focusing... thats the only one thats rising an eyebrow right now

5. Jeff makes a good point about problems seen on the web and numbers of items sold. Nikon reliability and ruggedness is well known and the reported problems from issues like, D200 banding, D70 BLOD, D2H metering, etc., are actually very unusual based on numbers. The attention given some issues make them seem positively epidemic.

6. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    I had an issue with my 17-35, but my others have been fine.

7. My 17-35 is squealing, but I rarely notice as I use manual focus 99.9% of the time.