AFS Question...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Seymore, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Seymore

Seymore Guest

How can one ID an AFS lens? I know AI/AIS, and "D" glass... But, what ID's an AFS lens?

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The easiest way to tell is the lack of the screwdriver focus slot in the mount end of the lens. Or maybe easier, every AFS lens I have seen says AFS in gold on the logo.

3. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Ok... That's what I needed to know. Thanks!!!

4. Lack of noise and speed of focus

I don't know whether there is any visual mark or not but when you use it, you can easily figure out by its silent and quick focusing operation. There is a clear difference.

5. Good point

Never cared to notice it earlier. But yes, all of my AF-S lenses do say "AF-S" in gold.

6. it's always in the lens designation on the nameplate, and generally on the bottom of the lens (where in light grayish white some letters/abbreviations are printed ) It will either say SWM or Silent Wave Motor.
    Ex. my 17-35mm f/2.8D AF-S ED-IF says:
    Top nameplate
    Nikon ED
    AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm 1:2.8D
    Bottom:
    Silent Wave Motor ED IF Aspherical
    or the 70-200VR
    Nikon ED
    AF-S VR-Nikkor 70-200mm 1:2.8G
    bottom: SWM ED IF VR.
    I believe the 28-70 AF-s and possibly one or more of the mk. I telephotos say Silent Wave Motor on a gold area of the lens nameplte

7. [hijack warning]

Have you ever seen more alphabets on the bottom of a lens than the 18-200VR?

DX VR SWM ED IF Aspherical o 72

[hijack off]

But yes, it will say SWM somewhere on the lens. And you won't be able to hear it AF.

Just a though, does the spring that makes the AF motor screw pop out ever get worn? Seems to me that there's a possibility of the AF screw getting slack or not extending if you use AFS or MF lenses a lot (where the AF screw is permanently squished when the lens is mounted)

Ming

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Seymore

Seymore Guest

No worries on the hijack... but you sparked another question. What about not having any other aspects listed, like IF... I have a 300/f that is ED and has internal focusing but doesn't list IF. Any thoughts? ...or does this just date the lens?

Hmmmmmmm... Good question. I've never heard of this being a problem. But, I guess only time can tell...

10. Seymore: IF is generally listed on the text on the bottom of the lens if at all. Some lenses may just not say it on the body and instead state it in the specs/manual/on the box.

11. Paul: 18-200VR impressed me a LOT. Especially considering it's an 11x zoom, with the aforementioned alphabet soup of features. Unfortunately, I dropped it with my loan D200 onto a marble floor from about 1m up; it all er...went back to nikon :redface:

My personal 18-200VR should arrive next week, so I guess they made a sale :)

Seymour: Generally, the earlier lenses are non-IF. This means rotating front element...for instance, my 80-200/2.8 two-ring is not IF - the front element rotates.

IF generally implies focusing groups are between the front elements and diaphragm; RF implies focusing groups are after the diaphragm.

Ming

Ming

12. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Ok. Thanks for the tip AFS...

Ming, no rotating front element here. Everything is internal. And, it's old enough that I don't think it RF. Thanks for the input...

13. Oops, I guess it's just one of those lenses that says IF in the manual but not on the lens...my 500/4P is the same.

Ming

14. Seymore

Seymore Guest

No opps... it's all good. Just that I don't have the manual any longer. Still learning some of the Nikon terminology, and how it applies to the lenses.

15. Here goes:

AF - screwdriver, no distance info chip
    AFD - as above with distance info chip
    AFS - with silent wave motor
    G - no aperture ring (there are some AFS-G lenses, but no AFD-G lenses)
    pre-AI - no aperture tab, won't mount on modern cams without modification to lensmount
    AI - aperture indexing; has a little tab on the aperture ring to communicate delta between max/min aperture to camera for metering
    AIP - MF but with CPU chip to convey distance info
    AIS - latest version of AI, not sure what the difference is
    VR - vibration reduction
    DX - digital only
    Asph - contains aspherical lens elements
    Tilt/Shift - lens allows movements
    PC - perspective controls; as above
    SWM - contains silent wave motor
    Nuts - contains nuts :tongue:

I think that's about it off the top of my head for now...

Ming

16. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Yep... know most all of um now... but this one. What happens when you shake it? Does it rattle? :eek:

Ming is :Smart: ! ! !
    :biggrin: ​

17. Sorry, I think the nuts bit applies just to me :redface:

Ming

18. Seymore

Seymore Guest

19. Technically there are AFD-G lenses- ex. the 28-80 and 28-100 G lenses, using screwdriver AF. All, and I do mean ALL G lenses have the D chip too.
    True, but just want to clarify: no aperture tab because the ring is continous where the gaps in the tabs should be. Will crush the EE or AI aperture tabs.
    Also should mention, the tab isn't so little but it has another small tab for the EE aperture tab on some lenses. All AF and AF-D lenses are AI. AF-G lenses are not AI since they tell the camera everything electronically and do not work on early cameras.
    The differences are:
    AIS has minimum aperture in orange, and a tab at the back that communicates approximate focal length range to a few early cameras. I think the F4 was the last major camera to use this, in any event the f5 doesn't. I also seem to recall something about the aperture being more linear but that may be totally wrong.

20. Seymore

Seymore Guest

Yep... that's how I also understand the early lenses. But, far better explained than I could have.

AFS... can you enhance on one other thing? You said "I also seem to recall something about the aperture being more linear but that may be totally wrong."... can you clarify "more linear"?