1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AFS repair

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by warren, Mar 29, 2007.

1. How much does AFS motor repair typically cost ? I am trying to decide wether it's worth my while having a lens I acquired cheaply repaired or to just dump it. All feedback appreciated.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I think they classify it as a B2 level repair. I just got my 70-200 back from warranty repair, AF was NG, they repaired that, the VR, adjusted everything and made a mod to elec component all under a B2. This was under warranty, but Melville's B2 repairs usually run $279 plus tax and shipping.

3. Warren give KEH in Atlanta a call, They should be able to give you a more reasonable repair cost then Nikon.
    My personal dealings so far with Keh has been limited to buying and selling. They also do a lot of out of warranty repair work and the feedback that I have heard is positive.

4. SWM Motor repair for the 28-70 2.8 AF-S was quoted at $629 when I had it replaced under warranty.

5. OMG! Can that really be? Half the cost of a new lens?:eek:  I'll be sending in my 300mm f4 for this repair with a squeaky AF. I'll let everyone know the cost.

6. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    It shouldn't be that much. I had mine (17-35) repaired for a little over $300. You can actually call Nikon and they will give you an idea. There is an ex nikon repair facility (http://www.authorizedphoto.com/), and they were a little cheaper.

7. I spoke to KEH and was told cost to buy new motor is $200 and labour $110. Depending on the lens that might be reasonable. They will only give a 6 month warranty after the repairs and turn around time is 2 weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.