AFS repair

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by warren, Mar 29, 2007.

1. How much does AFS motor repair typically cost ? I am trying to decide wether it's worth my while having a lens I acquired cheaply repaired or to just dump it. All feedback appreciated.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I think they classify it as a B2 level repair. I just got my 70-200 back from warranty repair, AF was NG, they repaired that, the VR, adjusted everything and made a mod to elec component all under a B2. This was under warranty, but Melville's B2 repairs usually run $279 plus tax and shipping.

3. Warren give KEH in Atlanta a call, They should be able to give you a more reasonable repair cost then Nikon.
    My personal dealings so far with Keh has been limited to buying and selling. They also do a lot of out of warranty repair work and the feedback that I have heard is positive.

4. SWM Motor repair for the 28-70 2.8 AF-S was quoted at $629 when I had it replaced under warranty.

5. OMG! Can that really be? Half the cost of a new lens?:eek: I'll be sending in my 300mm f4 for this repair with a squeaky AF. I'll let everyone know the cost.

6. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    It shouldn't be that much. I had mine (17-35) repaired for a little over $300. You can actually call Nikon and they will give you an idea. There is an ex nikon repair facility (http://www.authorizedphoto.com/), and they were a little cheaper.

7. I spoke to KEH and was told cost to buy new motor is $200 and labour $110. Depending on the lens that might be reasonable. They will only give a 6 month warranty after the repairs and turn around time is 2 weeks.