After a few days with the Z6

The thing I love the most about photography is preserving memories of my family. I was hesitant about getting the Z6 because I was afraid of the negatives I've heard about the autofocusing. When the camera was announced last fall, I so wanted it to be great. The initial reviews were so discouraging. But then I started reading things from real everyday people using the camera and loving it. More cautious YouTubers who really tried it out for a while had positive things to say. I started reading the Z camera forum here. I was getting more interested.

I take lots of photos of my active grandkids. Since I've had the camera for less than a week, I haven't tried it out on them indoors yet, but tonight we had an outdoor family activity, a hot dog roast at my daughter's house. The camera performed so well. I took 144 photos and I bet that there weren't more than 10 that weren't in perfect focus and some of those were because of the campfire smoke.

I used the 24-70 f4 S at first, then switched to the FTZ adaptor and used my 14 year old 70-200 f2.8 VR version 1. I will admit that the focusing on the older lens is much slower than the native lens, but I was still able to make it work. I'm very happy with the results. The camera has exceeded my expectations so far. I will admit that mounting adapted lenses is more work and fiddly because there are two things to mount.

The IBIS is so wonderful. Nikon did a fantastic job with it. I knew that I would love it because I always loved it on my Olympus mirrorless. I'm not the most steady shooter and my rate of keepers was always so much higher with my Olympus than my Nikon DSLRs. Ignore the dirty faces, because kids faces do get dirty when they eat. Here are a few of my favorites from tonight. When I ordered the camera from B&H I made sure I could return it if I didn't like it. I will definitely be keeping it. AF-C definitely isn't as good as AF-S, but it never has been for me on any of my DSLRs either. Some of these were done with AF-C, some with AF-S.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M

marine 337

The thing I love the most about photography is preserving memories of my family. I was hesitant about getting the Z6 because I was afraid of the negatives I've heard about the autofocusing. When the camera was announced last fall, I so wanted it to be great. The initial reviews were so discouraging. But then I started reading things from real everyday people using the camera and loving it. More cautious YouTubers who really tried it out for a while had positive things to say. I started reading the Z camera forum here. I was getting more interested.

I take lots of photos of my active grandkids. Since I've had the camera for less than a week, I haven't tried it out on them indoors yet, but tonight we had an outdoor family activity, a hot dog roast at my daughter's house. The camera performed so well. I took 144 photos and I bet that there weren't more than 10 that weren't in perfect focus and some of those were because of the campfire smoke.

I used the 24-70 f4 S at first, then switched to the FTZ adaptor and used my 14 year old 70-200 f2.8 VR version 1. I will admit that the focusing on the older lens is much slower than the native lens, but I was still able to make it work. I'm very happy with the results. The camera has exceeded my expectations so far. I will admit that mounting adapted lenses is more work and fiddly because there are two things to mount.

The IBIS is so wonderful. Nikon did a fantastic job with it. I knew that I would love it because I always loved it on my Olympus mirrorless. I'm not the most steady shooter and my rate of keepers was always so much higher with my Olympus than my Nikon DSLRs. Ignore the dirty faces, because kids faces do get dirty when they eat. Here are a few of my favorites from tonight. When I ordered the camera from B&H I made sure I could return it if I didn't like it. I will definitely be keeping it. AF-C definitely isn't as good as AF-S, but it never has been for me on any of my DSLRs either. Some of these were done with AF-C, some with AF-S.

View attachment 1635371 View attachment 1635372 View attachment 1635373 View attachment 1635374 View attachment 1635375 View attachment 1635376 View attachment 1635377 View attachment 1635378 View attachment 1635379 View attachment 1635381 View attachment 1635382
View attachment 1635383
Double WWWOOOOw Terri------- spectacular series. My d500 may need to be replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken

Double WWWOOOOw Terri------- spectacular series. My d500 may need to be replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
Thanks, Ken!! It's the great subject matter!!:) I think it all depends on what you shoot. Sports or wildlife, I think it would not be as good. For what I shoot this is a great option. I can try to make it work for action shots.

M

marine 337

Thanks, Ken!! It's the great subject matter!!:) I think it all depends on what you shoot. Sports or wildlife, I think it would not be as good. For what I shoot this is a great option. I can try to make it work for action shots.
With maybe a little photographer's savvy!!!!!!

Good times, good pics. (y)

Having reliable resources, such as here at the Cafe, is invaluable.

Good times, good pics. (y)

Having reliable resources, such as here at the Cafe, is invaluable.
It sure is. It makes me think that a lot of those famous YouTuber’s, who claim to be unbiased are actually supported by camera companies who pay them to bash competitor’s products. You sure can’t trust some of them.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
These are great, @Terri French. Precious memories for sure. Glad you are enjoying the Z6. Nikon will produce a 70-200/2.8 native Z lens some time this year. It will impress I'm sure and perhaps you will decide replace the old F-mount VR1 and go all-in on the Z format.

The IBIS is so wonderful.
Great images. Glad you like the Z camera. Do you feel the old 70-200 focused much slower than it would on a DSLR or whether it is just a slower focusing lens compared to the new one?

Your forte, and these shots prove it. It's not just your photographic skills but I'm sure it is also your social grace that makes these so good. Bravo!
Thanks, Nick. Not sure about my social graces, this is just family and we are all used to each other. The kids have had me pointing cameras at them since the days they were born, so they are used to it and usually humor me!!

What a wonderful series of photos. As mentioned above, this is what photography is about Capturing the moments that are precious to us.
I agree 100%. Family is the most precious, but I also love being out in beautiful places with my sweetheart. Those photos are precious, too!!

These are great, @Terri French. Precious memories for sure. Glad you are enjoying the Z6. Nikon will produce a 70-200/2.8 native Z lens some time this year. It will impress I'm sure and perhaps you will decide replace the old F-mount VR1 and go all-in on the Z format.
Maybe someday. The 14-30 f4 looks impressive, too. I want to make sure that the Z cameras are going to be popular and Nikon will be sticking with them for the future!!

Beautiful family pictures and a perfect use of a Z6 Terri! I am enjoying mine with the 24-70, 35 and 50 S lenses.
You are so blessed you could get all three right away. I have to take things much more slowly, but am having fun seeing what the adaptor can do with my older lenses.

Great images. Glad you like the Z camera. Do you feel the old 70-200 focused much slower than it would on a DSLR or whether it is just a slower focusing lens compared to the new one?
It focuses as fast as my D610 most of the time, but once in a while it will really hunt for focus on some random object.

I think you would make good pics w any gear. You have a knack of finding wonderful faces
Thanks, Randy!! I just don't share the expressions I don't think they would like me to share!!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom