after firmware upgrade - is your d2x better?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by marc, Nov 8, 2005.

1. marc

marc Guest

after upgrading firmware, are you really seeing a significant difference in d2x
    af, etc.

i am very curious, i did the upgrade and have a 17-55 on my camera, the first time i turned it on after upgrade to take a picture, the af did the weirdest thing.

it was like it recalibrated, i am shooting in af-s, the af acted like af-c, but only once.

it does seem to focus a little differently, your observations please.

marc

ps; i do not have focus problem, i am not looking for something magical, and i certainly am not some hysterical DPR crazy, who thinks this firmware upgrade has performed magic to my camera.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Neither am I, but my tests do show that W/B has been enhanced, and HI-1 and HI-2 performance is markedly better.

I didn't experience any focusing issue with any lens and 1.00. After the upgrade, same situation.

3. marc

marc Guest

BJORN

what about wb are you seeing or experiencing differently,?

i do not really have a wb issue, but your observations are most welcome

marc

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Auto w/b could render indoor scenes with a quite strong reddish cast, which now is gone. Very clear difference. There might be other more subtle w/b improvements, but I need daylight to test this out.

5. At the risk of asking a dumb question...

I see that Nikon describes the fixes with a firmware upgrade, but I have not seen how they fix the camera. Is there a way of describing in non-technical terms what a firmware upgrade does to fix things. I know that these technical marvels are all algorythims and circuit boards and diode thing-a-ma-jiggers.

Is it just a new math or re-routing a circuit or what exactly is going on inside the body that changes to make it better?

It seems people are now observing improvements in almost every aspect of the camera. I noticed that someone's camera at DPR can now brew a perfect cup of coffee since the upgrade... I don't get it. (JK)

6. My D2X not only brews coffee now, but will also grill a New York Strip medium-rare to perfection. :)

7. marc

marc Guest

i wouldn't get overly excited, the camera basically is no different than a computer.

firmware is software, software that helps to run the computer inside the camera.

if nikon changes the softwares instructions then the computer or camera has the ability to change it's behavior.

this is what the firmware upgrade does, in very simple uncomplicated terms.
    it has given the computer inside the camera some new instructions, it is not magic, just enginerring at it's finest

the d2x does appear to function a little better, this is good, i would guess nikon built this ability to correct certain functions, into the camera, and now 6 months after intro and many complaints, nikon has been able to find some problems and correct.

enjoy it, do not over analyze it. it is not going to cook dinner.

8. mcampos

mcampos

Apr 14, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    My autofocus performance has improved tremendously. I am on my second
    D2X and was ready to jump the wagon to go to Canon.

9. 100% correct Marc! Mine sure doesn't cook, however it ran out before and picked me up some take out from the Chinese resturant! Oh well....

10. marc

marc Guest

thats good, chinese is good

11. I believe it made a difference on the focusing and the reddish cast. I have't tried the high ISO yet.

12. marc

marc Guest

i never noticed any reddish cast, although i think the camera may be acting a small bit different

i am glad people see a change

that is good

13. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The improvement at Hi-1/Hi-2 is dramatic. Of course you see the most of this if you shoot under really bad light, such as fluorescents. Absolutely marvellous change to the better when I did a comparison with Hi-1 and w/b set to "A".

14. marc

marc Guest

bjorn

that's sounds great. i was playing around yesterday and did some that looked pretty good, with the flash

thankyou

15. So if a little is good, why not add a little more. I am not sure that I actually see the difference in noise by my own experiments, but so many others have and they are I am sure seeing the difference with probably much better eyes than mine. So many reports of improvement, they can't all be wrong. If Nikon could fix the noise a touch with a software / firmware fix, why not tweak it a bit more? I don't think it is all that easy or they would have done it by now and I think if you want something bad enough and keep looking hard enough, you will eventually see it, (even if only in your mind).

I think the camera was great before the fix as I did not see any significant problems, but again so many seem happy with the fix, it must be good. I think that maybe someone at Nikon probably said, there needs to be a moral booster for D2x/h owners since all the recent threads seem to be dissapointd that Nikon is putting out a similar camera for 1/3 the price so let's give them something else to talk about. Whalla... a firmware upgrade. Pretty good timing don't you think?

16. marc

marc Guest

scott

your skeptism is refreshing, are you planning on getting a d200?

17. I think Scott raises a valid point. Just like any operating system upgrade (which is what the firmware is) they could carefully consider including some new wanted features, to entice the loyal userbase that bought a new camera for $5000 only half a year ago or less.

I for one would love to see:
    * A submenu on the non CPU lens setting, with recently used settings, like I have 28mm F2, 28mm F2.8, 55mm F3.5, 58mm F1.2, 105mm F1.8 etc, would be nice to have a quick pick list to switch to them quicker, and it would cost very little in memory to implement and not much CPU power

Other ideas?

18. Well, I'd like to be able to assign AF-ON to the func button. I have small hands and when I'm securely and comfortably holding the camera my thumb is just shy of the AF-On button. I can easily hit the func button with my finger though.

19. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Frustrated with the new upgrade !

Well I, for one, am frustrated by the new firmware update! I updated two days ago to my low serial number D2x and have yet to see a single improvement. This is due to the fact that I am so busy at work I haven't shot a single frame. :mad:

I have to rely on the salivatingly interesting comments of the members of this forum. Thank you for the inspiration and I hope to join you soon with some nice images.

20. Scott,

It all comes down to software development issues. There's an old adage in software development -there's time, features and quality and you only get to pick two. With something like firmware, quality has to be a given. That leaves time and features. With all the focus 'issues' and the reported noise improvement in the D200, they probably push for time over features. Accordingly, I don't think we've seen of these update.

Jeff