After my first week here, I have to say...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Mims, May 30, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    This is a great forum, populated by great people. I've read replies to my notes, and to many others. What I've found, is a very helpful replies delivered with a lack of attitude but backed up by experience and knowledge.
    Even in a couple of threads where there was some disagreement (Nikon/Canon type thread), everything remained civil.

I get the impression that no matter what question I ask, it will be answered in a courteous manner, by experienced and informed photographers.

How refreshing!

2. Hi Jeff,
    This is what the Cafe is all about!! :)
    Let's all keep it that way.

Happy shooting!

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Jeff,

Like Frits said this is a place that anyone can get useful information and share common interests. You are correct that this community is unique in that we all really care not only about photography but enough about each other that we are completely honest and openminded on our responses, posts, critiques.

You won't find a better source of good info and professionals anywhere on the net. I learn something new everyday here.

Thanks,

4. Who us??? nice? nawwwwwww, we're not polite, courteous and helpful - we're just pretending and then one day, we're gonna let it all out!! *LOL* You'll think PMS is a walk in the park!! *LOL* Seriously Jeff, this little spot in the corner of the world is the warmest place around.

5. i was also pleased when arriving here.....hasnt done anything but get better.

6. I haven't been here long at all either but this place is great. Very informative and nice to those people that have never had a photo class and don't know their gear as well as they probably should.

7. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Patrick,
    I see you are from Huntsville, AL. My wife is from LA...(lower Alabama). Ever heard of "Millry"? It's about 70 miles North of Mobile, about 17 miles SE of Waynesboro, MS.

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Just in case anyone was curious ......
    The reason for my incessant questions, (learning curve on photoshop, best printer to buy..how to post photos) is I had a three year hiatus from photography. Well, nothing more than snapshots/family with some digicams.
    My daughters highschool prom was in May, and I grabbed a digicam to grab a shot of her and her date. We just went outside, and I did an outdoor (late afternoon) portrait. I was genuinely surprised at the result. Nice 8x10.
    A couple of weeks later, I went to my younger daughter's softball tournament..and discovered what shutter lag is all about. (and short focal lengths).
    One thing led to another..and presto, I ordered a D70. Man..I love this camera..in part because it has relit a passion for photography I've not had in years. The difference in detail between the D70 and the digicam was astounding to me. There is so much I can do with this camera. So I'm excited again...and most important..I'm having FUN with photography again.
    So I want to learn more about the processing/printing end. I've ordered Nikon capture, and I'm checking out some book recomendations. Also looking at an Epson printer.
    Basically, I'm just having fun again. I don't ever plan to go back to film.

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    PMS ? Petty Male Syndrome ? I'm confused... :twisted: :roll: :twisted:

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I've been here nearly a month

I can only see one problems with this forum. There are such good photographers here, with such fancy equipment, that you have made the lens lust worse. :p Other than that small problem I think you are all just great!!!! Seriously, you have all been so kind and helpful to me--I plan on staying around for a long time.

11. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Re: I've been here nearly a month

Tell me about it! I have lens lust and a drooling problem over the Nikon D2x... :)