After several years of saving and planning... 1) Rocha

Finally got our chance to go to South America. About a week+ in Uruguay, and week+ in Argentina. Nearly every day had something that could have derailed it all (starting with Delta Airlines separating us from all luggage -- got back together a little more than 28 hours later) but He worked it all out.
Iguazú falls will be last (wow!!! you have to go there some day!)

In Uruguay, we stayed at some Estancias (functioning farm/ranch/land-based business that also are small Hotel or B&B). One of them was a rather rustic/primitive horse training establishment where they use very gentle methods to gain the horse's trust in humans. He is 'native' Uruguayo.
i-SnmvMHn-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

She is Austrian (now Uruguayo).
i-kSBRKZB-L.jpg

Their summertime help (not pictured here) is an Australian lass.
Although not possessing the alpine beauty of Bariloche, it has its own sense of rugged isolation:
i-75mVLzq-L.jpg

i-DgcwW7X-L.jpg

This was the main building (yes, thatched roofs):
i-rw3sSKN-L.jpg

and this was our "honeymoon suite" downstairs
i-qdfLGN5-L.jpg

But we had fun with the horses. This was the second time -ever- that my wife had been on or within touching distance of a horse. by the way, our horses had bridles, but NO BITS, not even straight ones. Our guides were somewhat concerned about my camera, but I showed them I could handle both the camera and the horse. :LOL::geek:
i-8cknbc7-L.jpg

This area (Rocha) has some hills. Paysandú is much flatter and has more fertile soil, and has much more diverse farming (wheat, corn, alfalfa, cattle, Pecan, large tracts of Eucalyptus lumber, etc.). In Rocha it's mostly sheep and cattle and some Eucalyptus lumber areas, and more recently some Olive groves.
We traveled within a few dozen miles of Punta del Este, but Trump Towers isn't my type of vacation.
Will add to this thread over the next few days.

Latest threads

Top Bottom