After the rain: Nikkor 50/1.4

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by tasnim_fahim, Jul 3, 2007.

1. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    i like the contrasty images that the 50/1.4 draws. The bokeh is nothing
    to get excited about, but if the seperation between subject and secondary
    subjects is appropriate ( along with the aperture ) it might be acceptable.
    oof rendition, imho, is very subjective and i do not pray at its altar. but then
    what do i know.

notice how it has drawn the background and the specular highlights, blades?

[​IMG]

in the following, i was more interested in the empty and wet tables and the
    oof areas were of less concern to me and i needed the color contrast
    to delinate the different areas.

[​IMG]

thanks for looking.

2. The 50 Nikkors are known for their specular highlight Boke shape.
    Also, the contrast in your pic is more a thing of in-camera contrasat rather then the lens property.

At what contrast setting is your camera set to? High?

3. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Yes and No.

yes, in the sense that in-camera contrast settings will effect the image
    just as pp in ps or similar could be used to vary the image contast ( tonal and color ).

No, in the sense that each lens has a unique optical signature as a consequence of its inherent optical design. This is different than the in-camera contrast that you refer to.

use the same camera settings, shoot in raw and use different lenses ( at/of similar fls) and you should be able to detect this characteristic variation. lenses from different manufacturers can and do have differing characteristics, contrast being one of them.

Whether a more contrasty rendering of an image is required or not is however upto the photog. that different lenses are available offering differing 'painting'
    of a subject ( fl being the same ) is imo a good thing. while users are
    generally concerned more with fls and apertures, the variable characteristics
    are also to be borne in mind..if for no other reason than to choose a tool
    which more closely corresponds to the photogs image preferences.

Thanks for your looking and your comments.

Regards.

4. Whoah!

The 50 nikkors are not a secret for nobody.

So, you used high contrast in camera for those shots? They certainly look so.

5. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    i did not say the 50 nikkors are a secret.

i was just trying to explain that irrespective of in-camera settings, different lenses can and do have different contast rendering characteristics.

this is just a statement of fact.

regards.

6. Statement of facts for obvious facts, thank you.

What I'm curious about is wether your shots show the lens' contrast or is it the in-camera contrast that they're showing. But i guess it's unimportant at this point.

7. tasnim_fahim, I really enjoy your images - they have a very deep 'mood' to them - hard to define, but I appreciate your artistry. You are selling me on a 50 1.4 and your posts encourage me to shoot more.

8. tasnim_fahim, you should be getting a kickback from Nikon for selling 50s! Always beautiful images my friend, I look forward to each and every one.

Peace,

9. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Daniel,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am only too glad to share with you
    folks my experiences with the camera. Concurrently, i continue to benefit from the experiences of Nikoncafe members.

Enjoy and take care.

10. tasnim_fahim

tasnim_fahim

Oct 2, 2006
    riyadh
    Michael,

Really appreciate you looking and providing me with your comments. I like the 50/1.4 because it is small, optically superb,relatively inexpensive and i like
    the fl. I just wish i could use it on a consistent basis rather than only on
    vacations!!

My best regards to you and your loved ones.

11. revdhd

revdhd

May 2, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Tas,

I share your delight with the 50/1.4. It's simply a wonderful lens. And I'm always happy to see your images. Whether you are aware of it or not, you are developing a distinct style that is becoming recognizable... and very pleasing.

And, if you don't mind my saying so, I think the quality of your images has improved as you have used this lens more and more. Thanks for sharing with us.

God bless.
    Doug