After updating Photoshop CC August 2019

The Quick Selection tool, which I use regularly, was not displayed after updating the software last night. It took me awhile to realize that I had to click and hold the Magic Wand tool button, which I rarely use, to access it. Whatever tools are displayed upon closing the program are also displayed once it is reopened.

Apparently Photoshop tools reverted to a default display after the most recent update. I don't remember that happening before, so this is a heads up to everyone.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I believe there was also an update to Windows 10. Starting today, my graphics card acceleration is disabled. I'm using a nVidia Quadro 4000 with 2GB ram. Using Bridge, I notice a significant slowing down when viewing images in slide show or advancing from one image to another. Not sure which update has decided my current graphics card is no longer acceptable. :(

There was also an update to ACR today (included with the Ps and Lr updates) and it uses GPU processing IF it finds a suitably modern video card on the computer.

My card works partially: I get GPU Display enhancement but not GPU enhanced Processing.
Bridge appears to be working for me at the same speed that it did before the update.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I believe there was also an update to Windows 10. Starting today, my graphics card acceleration is disabled. I'm using a nVidia Quadro 4000 with 2GB ram. Using Bridge, I notice a significant slowing down when viewing images in slide show or advancing from one image to another. Not sure which update has decided my current graphics card is no longer acceptable. :(
Presumably Photoshop is not letting you turn it back on?
Look for an updated nVidia driver.
Failing that buy a new video card.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Presumably Photoshop is not letting you turn it back on?
Look for an updated nVidia driver.
Failing that buy a new video card.
Thanks, Richard. I have the most recent driver for my graphics card....nVidia GeForce Quadro 4000 - 2 GB RAM on card. PS is not letting me turn GPU acceleration back on.......

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I know this doesn't help you but I decided some time ago to stick to AMD video cards because of the repeated problems with nVidia drivers...

I have no doubt it will get fixed.
That would be nice! The driver was last updated Jan 18, 2018..... I think the connections to my motherboard are different than current graphics cards connections.....and I really don't need a new computer or motherboard! LOL!

If you go into the ACR Prefs (via Bridge), you will see a section called Performance: that is where the GPU Acceleration is being controlled from.

If ACR doesn't accept your Graphics card as being compatible with GPU acceleration, it disables one or both parts of GPU Acceleration automatically.

Keep checking with nVidea because they may update their Drivers again.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
FWIW.......I contacted nVidia and they had me try downloading a new driver...but it failed due to my OS, which is 1803. So.....I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to get 1903 to install. Finally it said installation was complete (YEAH!) and it only needed to re-start to complete the installation. Re-start resulted in a BSOD ("System thread" error...????) and the OS reverted to 1803. UGH!!!!!!!! I will try again today to install 1903......

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
FWIW.......I contacted nVidia and they had me try downloading a new driver...but it failed due to my OS, which is 1803. So.....I spent 6 hours yesterday trying to get 1903 to install. Finally it said installation was complete (YEAH!) and it only needed to re-start to complete the installation. Re-start resulted in a BSOD ("System thread" error...????) and the OS reverted to 1803. UGH!!!!!!!! I will try again today to install 1903......
I would download 1903 and then run it from your disk. Much quicker and more reliable.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom