1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

After updating Photoshop CC today...

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by Mike Buckley, Feb 12, 2019.

1. I updated Photoshop CC today, which also updated ACR. Unfortunately, when using ACR to export a JPEG from my raw file, the update changed from my custom export configuration to the default configuration, which is a DNG. I always bypass reviewing that information by Alt-clicking the "Save Image" button, so I was unaware of the change until I saw the exported file. Fortunately, my custom configuration wasn't changed or eliminated; I only had to click the "Save Image" button and select the custom tab where my export configuration is stored. Having done that, Alt-clicking the button now exports the file using the custom configuration.

Hopefully this serves as a heads up for others.

2. I wonder what else reverted to it's default

3. Hopefully people will use this thread to report any other surprises brought on by the update.

4. Maybe Adobe is trying a new push to get folks to use their DNG format? First the new "Enhance Details" update only creates a DNG file, and now it seems they may be resetting some defaults to DNG.

While I have no problem with DNG as a format, I don't use it primarily because, even as a long-time LR and PS user, I don't trust Adobe.

5. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Just make sure that ACR's Save dialog is not showing an unwanted size change. I have read of someone having that happen but suspect it was a case of User's Error.

Best practice is to save a set of your own Presets in that panel for various output purposes so that you can quickly select the one you need from the drop-down menu.

6. Exactly. If I hadn't done that, I would have had to reconfigure my export settings.

7. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Maybe another way to look at this is that Adobe really have to make this feature save as a DNG. The reason is that the Enhancement algorithm only applies to raw files and there is only one raw format from Adobe I.e. DNG. It would be a foolish move for Adobe to attempt to re encode a proprietary raw file such NEF, CRW, PEF, etc. Not sure of any copyright/legal issues, but trying to maintain all the 300+ unique proprietary raw types would be a huge undertaking.

There is no more of a problem using an openly documented and freely available raw container which is DNG over using TIFF. Adobe owns the latter rights but again TIFF is widely used and well documented. Several manufacturers have adopted DNG including Leica, Hasselblad and Pentax.

8. True. However, regarding my specific issue explained in the first post of the thread, Adobe shouldn't have changed the Save configuration from my custom settings to the default settings.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  9. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    If you use Enhanced Detail in ACR, that always creates a DNG (with an embedded JPG Preview) which you can then open in a format and colour space of your choice in Ps for output.

This Enhanced DNG is a crop of about 60% from a NEF; was opened in Ps and then saved for Web.
    (Updated because I forgot © mark!)
    104_AJS_3097-Enhanced-Acorn.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. Just started looking around and 1st thing I saw was the export setup box was changed. This looks like we need to look before we click on something.

11. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Installation of new software normally sets everything beck to default settings but the defaults may have changed due to changed components in a new Build.

Whenever I install a new update, I prefer to trash my old Prefs. and then re-set them to the way I want them.
    After that, I check all Tool & Panel settings and change them from the Defaults to my own requirements.

I feel that I get a more trouble-free experience if I spend a little time to do that.

One's personal settings in Adobe programs are usually saved automatically and can mostly be recalled and re-used in the new update.

12. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    I agree that it may have come as a surprise, but surely in a way not totally unexpected due to the nature of the enhancement?

As working with Enhancement requires raw data then it seems to follow that one would need to save these adjustments as rehashed raw data and the container would be a DNG (I assume the parametric edits cannot be included in xmp). Therefore dropping at least some custom settings may be considered normal in this case? Still it would have been good for Adobe to have issued specific details prior to update.

Still an object lesson for us all to check changes and implications prior to or immediately after a major update

13. I completely disagree. The change that was made to my system has absolutely nothing to do with the enhancement. Perhaps I didn't explain the situation clearly enough for you to understand that.

14. Not my experience. As an example, of all the Photoshop CC updates that have been installed on my computer, I don't remember anything ever being changed back to a default setting. If it ever happened, it certainly didn't happen often, much less normally so. That's true for all of the software I use.

15. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Obviously my bad due to the thread straying towards the new enhancement discussion. Will be interesting to see other users complaints regarding alteration to custom settings

16. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    The Export Panel has always been problematical and has engendered numerous complaints.

Adobe seems to be making changes to it in an attempt to improve its performance so it has probably been shipped with new Default settings.

Frankly, I never use "Export" but prefer to stick with the far better designed and more fully-featured "Legacy" Save for Web.

However, I maintain that it is always good practice to trash and reset all Preferences when installing Upgrades.

17. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    >>>>>While I have no problem with DNG as a format, I don't use it primarily because, even as a long-time LR and PS user, I don't trust Adobe. >>>>

Adobe actually own TIF, PSD, PDF (and others too!) as well as DNG; but they are all "open" for anyone's use so I don't think that you have any need for concern!

:) 

18. I wrote s/w for 37 years. Mostly UI stuff. You never ever change a user setting, no excuses and if it happens it's a screw up with potentially horrible consequences

19. in LR ? What changed ?

20. My setting not the form I should have been clearer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.