Aftermarket Batteries?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by ednaz, May 8, 2005.

1. Post by Steve S raised an issue I hadn't thought about for awhile. I'd like to have a few extra batteries for my d2x. There are several aftermarket companies selling alternatives to the Nikon EN-EL4, such as Power 2000 and CTA.

Anyone have experience with the aftermarket batteries, whether in D2x or any other Nikon DSLR? If they're done perfectly from a technical perspective, they could be as good or better. If not, they could cause problems with the camera. I remember in the prosumer Nikon world that many of the aftermarket batteries were way, way better than the Nikon batteries at battery life.

2. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Last year I got two aftermarket for my D2H.
    Both were defective and went back for refund.

Birger

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    I was just at a demo from Nikon at my local camera store on Friday. The Nikon rep mentioned that Nikon's due to issue some new replacement batteries in a the next few months, batteries with greater capacity. Given the Nikon D100 batteries' incredible depth, this might be worth waiting for.

FWIW, coming from a sales rep.

John P.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'd stay away from the super-cheap batteries on EBay, but the reputable 3rd-party battery makes like Lenmar work just fine.

5. Any further experience reports on either the CTA or Power2000 aftermarket batteries?

I want to purchase a spare and am very tempted to save a few dollars over the Nikon.

The CTA is listed as the highest capacity -- 2200 mAh (vs. 2000 mAh for the Power2000, and 1900 mAh for Nikon). Also, the CTA has a 3-year warranty (vs. 2-year for the Power2000).

B&H Photo sells both the CTA and Power2000 for $54.95 (vs. $109.95 for Nikon).

Best wishes,

David

6. This was just discussed on the Nikonian site. There have been several bad experiences with third party batteries for the D2x.

With all due respect and not to bust your chops, but....

You spent $5K on a camera. Why are you trying to save a few buck on a battery that wasn't necessarily designed for the $5K piece of equipment you own. Just buy the Nikon battery and don't worry about whether or not the other brand will work.

7. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

You might luck out.
    But see my message on this subject may 8th.

li batteries have life of three years used or not.

So your cost is $20 vs $35 per year.

Apple I understand just recalled a bunch of batteries on the G4.

If the battery blows up in the camera who pays the bill??????

Birger

8. I've been using a couple of CTA batteries for several months in the D2H and now D2X. One had faulty connectors and they replaced it free right away. Other than that, no problems.