Aftermarket Flash Sync Cord

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Mart61, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi there

I'm looking to buy a third party flash sync cord to use between my D300 and SB-600.

Has anyone any experience with such a cable and, if so (and experience was positive), can you let me have some details of where I can buy one?

Thanks

Martin

2. I've never run across a 3rd party cord. I'm about to buy a sync cord for my son, and will look for a sc-17, which is less expensive than the sc-28 or sc-29.

3. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks Frank. There are a number of such "third party" cords on ebay. Just wondered if they were any good?

4. I bought this one http://tinyurl.com/5djcgh a few months ago....

I have used it quite a few times without any trouble.

And after going into my local store recently i must say the only difference to the Nikon one is that the "NIKON" label is missing and it's cheaper. Id does not feel "Cheap" like a lot of copies...it is quite heavy and very thick plastic :505:

5. Based on the vendors' ratings, I'm sure they're OK. But the prices, if you include shipping, are pretty daunting. There are a couple of used sc-17 cords on auction at the moment, with a reasonable shipping price of $6.95.

6. I would stick with the sc-28 or 29. I sent the 3rd party back. Can't miss with the Nikon.

7. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Another vote for the Nikon SC-17.

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Thanks for the input guys.

What does the SC-17 not do that the SC-28 and 29 does?

Will I get full functionality (i.e. i-ttl etc) with the SC-17?

9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    SC-17 does not have the locking pin hole the SC-28 has, and the SC-29 has the focus assist panel that is missing on the other two.

10. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Many thanks - I now have several SC-17s on ebay watch.

11. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Well, just "won" an SC-17 on eBay.

Thanks once again for the input guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.