Afternoon at Lake with Green Herons

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    The lake next to my wife's office is starting to become a good location to scout out some GBH and Green Heron's (as well as the assortment of other Ducks/Geese and their babies). Yesterday there were quite a few Green Heron's hunting...here they are all taken with D50 and 80-200 AF-D f/2.8 lens.

I came around the corner first and saw this guy with neck fully extended as he spots me
    [​IMG]

I apparently spook him as he flies off, which allows me to test out the 80-200 AF-D's BIF tracking ability...it doesn't do too badly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He lands too far away so I start looking around for something closer to shoot and spot these 3 guys hanging out...reminds me of "The Usual Suspects"
    [​IMG]

Whoops...I've been spotted again!
    [​IMG]

Finally I got a couple to pose nicely by themselves and fairly close up
    [​IMG]

This one looks like he's "reflecting" on his day
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking...these guys were fun to shoot!

2. Lucky devil!

Great shots

3. Very cool set, your next to last shot is a very good capture.

Louie

4. Nice series Peet

Well done

5. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks to all...I had never seen a Green Heron until last week when I spotted one (and posted on here the pictures I had taken). Now there were 5 in the same spot yesterday...hopefully they hang around for a while!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great shots
    That is one fast flying bird. Great shot

7. Nice series, The last one with the reflection is my favorite

8. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yes Gale, it is a fast flying bird. I was amazed at how fast it flied compared to the GBH.

Thanks Andréas...I like the last 2 the most (of course they were probably the sharpest which might have something to do with it).

9. Great captures, looks like you've found a nice little spot there, looking forward to more.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks James...since I pick the wife up every day (and always end up waiting on her to finish things up before she's ready) it looks like I'll have many more opportunities thankfully.

11. Nice set! Love the look in #5.