Ahhhh.... a place for me!

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Wilk, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    I'm a bit miffed that the powers that be didin't name this "wierdo" as I suggested, but I see they at least are responsive to the fact that wierdos need a place for missfit work

>>>>>>> I'm KEEEEDING! :eek:)

Seriously guys, this addition is a GREAT idea!

Here's my oddballs from the week;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the flood, but I was pretty happy with all these, so I thought I'd post all of 'em.

The rest is in my inbox, which as always, can be found by clicking the link in my sig and clicking on "InBox" from the left menu. I made a big change this week, I've been doing too many protests and rallies to keep shlocking them into another "catch all" gallery, so I've added a PJ gallery - I am not a photojournalist, but do very much enjoy doing that type of work, as it's kind of a cousin to street photography.

Now pardon me whilst I batton down the hatches for a visit from Katrina :eek:)

2. I dont see any pic in that post...

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wierd ??

Some very interesting images. Nice clarity and and color.

Gret variety. Nice ue if DOF in the first one.

Can see pics fine here.

Take care through Katrina. :mad:
    am in Brevard county and sure will be thingking of you folks as well. :mad:

Will get some of the effedts of this as well. Not sure quite what it is going to do yet.

Cheers
    Take care

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I love them all!

At any rate, these are very cool. I think this gallery will probably get a lot of attention.

5. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hello Patrick!

First, thanks for ALL you do here. I have great respect for those that undertake such a daunting task as running a forum of this magnitude.

With respect to my "suggestion" for a name, it was just a joke, I assure you. I commonly refer to myself as a wierdo (with respect to my subject matter) so I was jokingly suggesting a "wierdo" forum would fit me perfect :eek:)

This catigory is great for me though... I can wedge my odder stuff into other forums just fine, but this one gives me the freedom to post "non traditional" type work and not worry about pics not fitting into others - not that I worry per se - this is a fantastic group of people here, and all seem very kind and accepting.

Thanks for your kind words regarding my work!

6. What is weird to one is anothers art. While these images are a little out of the mainstream, they are well done and creative. Go for it.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

I'm an engineer, so I don't have an artistic bone in my body. In spite of this, I find these to be very interesting and well done shots. If you post a few more, I might actually learn something. :wink:

8. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Gordon,

Yes, well, I've been bucking the system my whole life, I'm certainly not going to start conforming with my camera! :eek:)

Thanks, as always for your kind words regarding my work.

9. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Flew!

I have two words for you if you're looking to me for inspiration... Sea Kelp!:biggrin:

Not just the average type of therapy either... the deep serious kind that digs down to the core of your being! :biggrin:

It's funny. As a child, I was convinced (for good reason) that I had no artistic ability whatever. I was told I could draw a pretty mean stick figure :biggrin:. When I got into film around 1980, I discovered inklings of artistic ability and was happy about that. I've not shot seriously since 1990 until I jumped into digital last november, I've discovered that it seems I do have (admittedly my own warped sense of) artistic flare. Fact is, when I back off following my eye and try to do more "traditional" work more times than not, I'm disappointed - that could very well be because there are so many GREATS out there to compete with, dunno. What I do know is, I'm having a whole lot of fun doing what I'm doing.

10. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Steve, more oddbals please I like these very much !!

11. Steve you really have the eye to find pattern all around you, the compositions are first rate.

12. Robin Roddy

Robin Roddy Guest

These are fantastic pictures. I've always loved this genre of photography (though I've never been able to articulate a proper name for it). I'm fascinated with pictures that can reveal inspiration and revelation in the everyday and mundane.

The names alone are worth the look, as well. You can spend 10 minutes and find a dozen pictures named, "Freedom", or "Light", or whatever, but how many will you find named "Resplendent Wedge" and "Spline". Awesome.

13. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Gilles,

Thanks very much for your kind words. I'm still not where I want to be as far as my eye is concerned, but I guess we never really are:tongue:

14. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Hi Robin,

Hmmmm... perhaps you could tell me what genre this is exactly? :eek: Seriously, I do just tend to shoot what feels comfortable to me, and not worry too much about being classified. I rather like being somewhat outside the relm of classification :Clown: Several of my heros defy classification as well.

The names... this is really an exercise for me to ensure I really like the photo enough to at least put it in the inbox - many in the inbox don't even make the cut to the final galleries, but if I can't figure out a name, it's not much worth showing. I have to confess that I do use an online thesaurus to accomplish all this, but it doesn't make me feel like a "cheater" for doing so:tongue:

Thanks very much for your kind words.

Steve

15. Robin Roddy

Robin Roddy Guest

I wouldn't classify photography like this based entirely on it's subject matter, but based more on the emotional responses it invokes. I think for this reason, such photography will ultimately always defy classification, because said emotional response will be different for each viewer. I look at pictures like the set you posted and see them united by the same inquisitiveness and compositional eye that drives us to see patterns in clouds. I didn't mean to scare you off with talk of a "genre", but I do see the images united in a comon theme that is bigger than themselves, and it's a theme I generally find inspiring.

Classification and/or characterization does not necessarily mean pigeon-holing, or bowing to convention.

I still love the names. I think it adds an additional creative dimension, thesaurus or no.

16. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    Yes, I totally agree. From week to week, I find several themes evolving, and one or two intertwined. I do tend not to worry so much about presenting my work in a mixed fashion from week to week. I've only been back into it since last november, and didn't get REAL serious till I got the D2x in the begining of April, so it hasn't been that long for me. I guess you could say I'm still getting my feet wet, as such, I'm still in the process of artistic discovery. But the way things feel thus far, I doubt I'll be pigeon holed anytime soon, for sure.

I certainly am not slighting work that is pigeon holed, far from it. I love a good landscape or wildlife or sports shot as much as the next guy, but your thoughts have opened my eyes a wee bit to what I'm trying to do, which is I suppose, to evoke an emotional response. Granted, that type of work isn't for everyone, and that's fine too - neither is landscape photography, for example. Even though there is rarely deep thought on my part before I shoot - it's more of a matter of following my eye and trying different things, I guess in the long run, I am trying to do the type of work that forces someone into thought or emotional response - I'm glad it comes through a little bit anyhow :redface:

The naming has been a great exercise for me, and fully expect to continue with it. I figure it's the least I can do, to think through my own work enough to name a shot before I present it, whether it makes the "cut" into my galleries or not.

Thanks ever so much for your thoughtful response. I really do enjoy getting into it a little bit deeper than "these are great!" 'thanks!' :redface:

17. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    nice series!

My fav is your Neg atmosphere.