1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

AI 500/4P, or AI 400/2.8 ED-IF?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ming Thein, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Dang. I've been offered both - mint condition - at the same price. What do you do?

Any input Bjorn? I know you've given them both 5's...

And please guys, DON'T SAY BUY BOTH!! :eek: 

Ming

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Interesting...any reason why? For use on a D2H or D200, so metering isn't a problem. Would have thought the 400 would make more sense; a stop faster, and not that much shorter. And could make an interesting 800/5.6...

Ming

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. W Thorne

W Thorne

Jul 24, 2005
    Houston
    I own the 500/4 and a 300/2.8. I would love to have the 400/2.8. Put a 1.4 on it and you have a 560/4.

Now that I'm finished dreaming I agree with Paul. The 400/2.8 is a large heavy lens (I've used a friends of mine several times). I feel I get better results with the 500 and 300 due to their size.

Go with the 500. Great wildlife lens.

6. Hi I would have the 400 with both the matched converters this is the only lens I've ever regretted getting rid of, I just might treat my self to one for Christmas as there seems to be plenty of second-hand ais ones in the British photo magazines at very reasonable prices.

Phillip.

7. Thanks for the thoughts - looks like I'm leaning towards the 400...once I get my %^&* shutter curtain fixed :( 

Ming

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.