Ai/AiS for DX -opinions

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by mood, Aug 28, 2008.

1. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    now that I can meter and have a better view finder, I want to reaquire a widish MF lens, mostly for static shots
    speed isn't the highest priority, that Ai/ AiS look is

20/3.5 ?
    20/4 ?
    24/2 ?
    24/2.8 ?
    other...?

let me know what you think

and while we're at it

105 1.8 or 135 2.....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  2. 15/3.5 and 18/4 :biggrin:

3. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    the 18 sounds interesting

I have bought and sold 10-20, 12-24 a couple of times
    I really don't need/ use anything below 17-18mm

4. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    you know what i think.....

35mm f/1.4 AIS!!!!

5. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Another vote for the 35/1.4 and a vote for the 105/1.8 too. The 35 on DX is not very wide, so I'd have a look on the AI 28/2 and AIS 20/2.8.

6. Hi Frank,

So much of this is subjective and based on personal preference. I'm shooting a D300 (1.5x crop) and find that the 30 to 35mm focal length, while I like it, is too long for candid and street shooting. I am so in love with my newly acquired 24mm f/2. That gives me my 35mm field of view on a crop body. It's also an exceptional lens. I have the 20mm f/3.5 UD on loan and have decided to pick that lens up as well. Even though they are only 4mm apart, the field of view is 10 degrees wider than the 24mm and that is very nice.

I'm sure you've found out that almost any of the older AI or AI-S glass is really superb but the 24mm f/2 is a real treat and considered to be a notch above the f/2.8, not to mention 1 full stop larger.

Since you're only mentioning lenses in this focal range I won't bring up others that are longer.

Where in NY are you? If you ever want to get together and check out the 24mm f/2 or 20mm f/3.5 you're more than welcome to come by and we can go out shooting with your camera and CF card so you can evaluate for yourself.

7. From personal experience, the 20 f/3.5 UD is a great lens. The only issue is that it is a NonAI lens and would need to be converted if it already hasn't been.

God Bless,
    David

8. Why does it have to be converted? I have one and it's superb. No issues.

9. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    thanks all for the info

Peter,kgill, the 35 1.4 does look sweet, but I have a log jam at that FL, 30 1.4 Sigma and my beloved 35/2

Robert, I am in Westchester, and I did own the 24/2 already, and stupidly sold due to MF issues and no metering with my old D80
    I now shoot D300, so I might go that way again

I have heard the 28/2 is great, but again,close to my 30/35

although I am not entirely happy with the Sigma
    if I sell it at some point, the 28/2 could slide right in there I guess

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  10. Here is what I found out from research on this lens and experience. The production years of the 20 f/3.5UD ran from 1967-1974 (according to rvink's site). That would place the production of the last lens about 3 years before the first production AI lenses. The UD is a Non-AI type lens meaning, as is, it would not meter with a modern camera and you'd run the risk of ruining the meter mount if it were mounted. On my F4s, there is a tab that would allow for stop-down metering so that way the lens would not potentially break the meter mount. I bought my 20 with this use in mind (to lift the tab) but found stop-down metering too much of a hassle. I in turn sent my copy to John White to have him convert my lens from a Non-AI to and AI'd lens. I works great now with all my camera bodies. You can find out more info here.

God Bless,
    David

11. Hi David,

That may be the case with older bodies or film bodies but I can tell you from first hand experience that there is no issue with metering or the mount. The lens meters perfectly, exactly as it should and yields perfect exposures. I'm not doubting or debating what others are presenting but I can tell you from my own experience and from the original owner of my copy that this is a non-issue on a D300 body.

All the images in this thread and in the gallery link within the thread that were shot with the 20mm were shot on a D300 using its metering system and I didn't have to adjust exposure at all. The images presented are 'as shot'.

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=185516

Check it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    maybe it was AI'd already Robert ?

13. I think that Frank hit it right, it was already AI'd.

God Bless,
    David

14. I'll check with the original owner and get back to you. Maybe that is the case. I should have an answer very quickly.

15. Yup, you guys are right. It was already AI'd. My mistake.

Can you still get the kits or have it AI'd if you picked one up now that didn't have the mod?

16. Please do not quote me on this but I think you can still find the kits. They are getting harder to find though. However, John White does this on the side and does a really good job at it. For $25 plus shipping, I had mine sent, converted, and returned in about 2 weeks.

God Bless,
    David

17. Hi David,

The original owner of my lens said he had it done for about $30. Seems like if you can find the lens and the mod can be done then it's well worth it.

18. For certain lenses, I whole heartedly agree.

God Bless,
    David

19. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    yep David
    I corresponded with John White earlier about ding a 55 3.5 for me
    so he is still around

usually they can be had from KEH already done though