1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ai-S 105mm f/1.8 - so sharp, yet so soft

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, Sep 4, 2008.

1. I have the habit of speaking very highly of the Nikkor Ai-S 105mm (either the f/2.5 or the f/1.8).

Late this afternoon I shot a quick one of Charlo as he was sprawled out over the kitchen floor for a nap - during dinner preparation time :rolleyes: 

I love the outstanding sharpness of the lens, combined with the smoothest bokeh you'll ever see (if you want it, of course).

There was some nasty light being reflected from the floor, which caused a touch of flare - no biggie.

Today's snapshot (Ai-S 105mm f/1.8, natural light, hand held ~@ 1/4 sec :eek:  ~). Wonderful, smooth bokeh:

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

...but SHARP (100% crop):

original.jpg

To cap it off, an unrelated image I took with the 105mm f/1.8 earlier this year (natural light also). Incredible IQ:

original.jpg

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    beautiful Frits

was the first shot @1.8 ?

the right upper highlights seem not very round, or is this just a characteristic of the lens ?

just wondering, as I have been deep in thought bwt this lens and the 135/2 AiS

3. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Frits: Fantastic capture's:smile:. I joined the cafe for cat Images. My New to me Nikkor 105 1.8 AIS has been with me for about a week:cool: . The brightness of the veiwfinder with the D3 combined with the buttery smooth focusing and fantastic IQ and as Frits says bokeh to die for makes this combination a winner. It's just such a sweet lens. Nikkor AIS :cool: .

Gregory

4. Thanks Frank. It was shot at f/4 (as was the 2nd one). At the upper right it is the touch of flare I mentioned because of nasty light reflections. Usually that is not there.
    I highly recommend the Ai-S 105mm - either the f/1.8 or the f/2.5.

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I had a 2.5 and sold it to the Dude :cool: 

but I have been thinking the 1.8 is better for low light, hence more versatile

6. It is exactly that Frank. I had the f/2.5 and loved it. Then I got me a mint f/1.8 and ran some comparisons. The f/1.8 is every bit as good as the venerable f/2.5, but a bit faster.

7. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    sounds great

thanks Frits

if I could just make up my mind :confused: 

8. sllywhtboy

sllywhtboy

Jun 28, 2006
    detroit'ish
    i wanted the 105 1.8 but they're going for $450+. i got the 105 2.5 for $125. i had a hard time justifying $325 for another stop.

that said, i like my 105 2.5. now that i have a d200, i can meter it :) 

9. Great shot, Frits. The 105mm f/1.8 AIS is one my favorite lenses. I combined it with extension tubes to shoot small flowers.

Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS w/ extension tube @ f/1.8

102620318.gif

10. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    nice Vinh

what tube did you use ?

11. Superb shots. I also have one of these. I was going to sell it since I have bought a 105DC but after seeing your photos, I may change my mind!!!

12. Frits....
    Charlo looks awesome
    love that first shot....

what a great lens in your hands

13. Great images Frits.

Of the two 105, I like the F/1.8 better.

14. gugs

gugs

Feb 24, 2006
    Belgium
    I love both, but the 2.5 has two small advantages: it is really sharp fully open (the 105 1.8 IQ improves a lot when closing down), and it is much lighter and much more discrete to carry...

Guy

15. Hi Frits,

Wow, very sharp and very impressive. As much as I love my f/2.5 you and others now have me thinking about an f/1.8. :cool: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.