Ai-S 35mm f/1.4 - gotta love it

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Frits, Mar 26, 2007.

1. I got this lens last winter. Frankly, after my first quick test shots I was (much!!) less then impressed (I had a thread on that in the Cafe at the time).
    Then it slowly grew on me...
    Today I consider it to be my favorite lens. It is very versatile and I use it in many circumstances.

It is impossible for me to compare today, but I believe that the dissatisfaction is related to my then body (a D1x - great in most every way, but maybe not a good fit for this lens, dunno...). Also, my copy has a bit of an issue (many tiny bubble like spots inside near the circumference of the front element). Maybe it affects the image at times - again I don't know and frankly, I don't care about it any more.
    Now I just enjoy this beautiful piece of glass whenever I pick it up, which is very often!

Here just fooling around with it wide open.

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 35mm f/1.4 (wide open, available light)
    original.

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

wow...what's not to like about that? ...SAWeeeeeeeeeeeet!

3. mingaun

mingaun

Jun 13, 2006
    Malaysia
    Thats a winner!!

4. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hat's off to you!

I'm taking my similar lens out tomorrow to find flowers and cats. I"d forgotten about this great lens.

Thanks for sharing.

5. MJAM

MJAM

Feb 20, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    What a fabulous shot. Great use of a great lens. Mike

6. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    I guess you were using your KatzEye for this one?!! :wink:

7. sylwesterski

sylwesterski

Jul 25, 2006
    Seattle,WA
    Great pic Frits, the cat is feeling at ease I wish I could gently pet her/him around her/him ears.
    I love cats.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2007
  8. Absolutely :biggrin: , you won't CATch me without it...

9. Bearmont

Bearmont

Feb 28, 2006
    Bellevue, WA
    I want an autofocus version of this...

10. Frits, I knew the lens was good. It was a question of time until you'd "understand" it :Wink:

I'm always glad to see you putting it to great use!

What about teh 24 f2?

11. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

Lovely Frits - really gets the best from that fine lens. I also agree with NB23 - take a look at the 24/2 if you do not already have it. I have also recently tried the 85/2 and find it amazingly close to the 1.4 in its treatment of skin and OOF areas

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.