1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Air-fried Chicken Parmesan

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Rather than fry the chicken in oil, I used an air fryer. Super crunchy, not remotely greasy and lots more healthy. For a reasonably interesting discussion about using an air fryer, see Critique - Air-Fried Calamari Rings

Note to Lyndee and all vegans: substitute egg plant for the chicken and use a cheese substitute.

Setup
    The tabletop (seen only in the tiny top right and left corners) is white fabric. The oval serving dish was placed on a dinner plate. A small continuous-light lamp near the height of the tabletop was on the left. Another one above the tabletop was on the right. Both were very close to the scene to create soft shadows. A flashlight behind the scene back lit the top of the leaf.

Mike 2019-01-11--007-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Hmmm....We just got an air fryer for Christmas...
    Haven't used it yet....

3. Very appetizing!

Glenn

4. Thank you to Panther and Glenn!

If you like fried shrimp, consider making that your first air-fried dish. It's probably the easiest and most reliable of all the dishes, especially in your first few attempts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

That looks absolutely delicious. I'm going to make this and there are cheese substitutes that I can use that melt beautifully. The whole presentation, Mike is excellent.

BTW, I ordered the air fryer. I couldn't find a place in town that had the one you recommended in stock. And besides, yesterday, we got almost 10 inches of snow with more on the way today and into tonite. No way I would have been able to go shopping, so I'll just wait until next week to experiment. Can't wait!

6. Thanks, Lyndee!

I would be interested in knowing the cheese substitutes you like, as I'm trying to limit the amount of cheese I eat due to concern about cholesterol.

The typical method of binding the flour and panko to whatever is being air-fried is to first dip that food into egg and a tiny bit of milk. What do vegans use as a substitute for that egg wash?

7. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

There are many different variety of "cheezes" that are on the market today. So many, in fact, that my regular grocery store actually carries a few brands (previously, I could only find cheese substitutes at Whole Foods).

For shredded cheeses I use the 'Follow Your Heart' brand. There is also a brand called 'Daiya', but I honestly don't care for it as much as I do 'Follow Your Heart'. Follow Your Heart also has a 'Vegan Egg' product that I use for my egg washes. It's a powder, and what I do is take one or two tablespoons (depending on what I'm cooking), dilute it with either almond milk or water to make a wash that will coat and stick to what I'm frying, add my seasonings and off I go...

For cream cheese, ricotta and sour cream, it's the 'Tofutti' brand for me, as I simply cannot tell the difference between that and the real thing.

Now, I will say that for cheese substitutes, do they taste exactly like the real thing? No, but it's close enough. I also have yet to find an acceptable substitute for sharp cheddar, which is my favorite. I've found, however, many websites that give recipes on how to make my own cheeses. One day, when I have time, I'll explore that option.

8. Thanks for your interesting, detailed information, Lyndee!

9. Now that I've revisited that part of your post, I'm willing to bet that you're gonna absolutely love using the air fryer.

My preferred method is to first spray the air fryer's basket with cooking spray. Dip the food in the egg wash, then the flour, then the egg wash again, and then the panko. Place the coated food in the air fryer and sprinkle with seasonings. Spray the top surface of the food with the cooking spray. Cook about two-thirds of the total cooking time at about 370 degrees or higher. Flip the food and sprinkle with the seasonings. Spray the top surface. Cook about one-third of the total cooking time at the same temperature. The foods I've tried require a total cooking time of about 7 minutes (shrimp) to 11 minutes (chicken parmesan).

10. I’d never heard of air frying prior to seeing the calamari post a few days ago. I’m going to have to look into this. About the only thing we fry are eggs, I don’t care for the greasy taste on food but these things look like might open some new food possibilities.

11. Same for me.

The air fryer has me going in a completely new direction that adds a lot of variety to my recipe choices because it fries food so well without the greasy, oily taste and texture.

12. My wife has banned deep frying in the winter--stinks the house up.

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Mike, have you found a good source for recipes for the air fryer? I got one for Christmas and have been thinking about giving it away! LOL! I fry almost nothing even though I grew up with Chicken fried steak, fried chicken, biscuits and gravy! LOL!

For instance, is the Parmesan Chicken recipe on the internet?

14. The recipes you would normally use for food coated in flour, cornmeal or panko and fried in oil should work fine using the air fryer so long as you substitute the air fryer strictly for frying the food in oil. That's exactly how I made the chicken parmesan, which is a Cook's Illustrated recipe that was created before air fryers became available. After frying the chicken in the air fryer, I added the cheese on top and melted it in the broiler. The tomato sauce was cooked in a sauce pan on the stove top and added last.

After using various air-fry methods over the last several months explained in recipes, I've settled on the process explained in Post #9 displayed above as it seems to work equally well for everything I've tried so far.

You can use the air fryer to cook lots of foods that aren't normally fried in oil. That's because the basic technology of an air fryer is the same as a convection oven. However, I don't see any benefit to switching to an air fryer to cook those recipes. Indeed, I would never bother trying most of the recipes in the book that came with my air fryer because those particular recipes don't use the air fryer as a substitute for frying in oil, which is my sole interest in using the air fryer.

15. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks!

16. Did your mother never say anything about playing with your food? :D  :D  :D 

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. My wife dreaded the idea of me taking food to the makeshift studio located in the storage room for fear that it would attract all sorts of vermin. Now that she has seen the photos and noticed no increase in vermin, she has at least stopped complaining. :LOL: 

• Like Like x 1
  18. Colorful and appetizing image Mike!

19. No air fryer stress testing of photo gear!:eek: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.