Air Show with my "new" 70-200VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JayR, Aug 2, 2005.

1. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Hi,

Thanks to all posts by NikonCafe members :x , I couldn't bear the pain of not having the 70-200VR anymore. :) I relented to LLD and picked up a used copy at a very good price. I thought I had it good with the Sigma 70-200 EX HSM but am pleasantly surprised with the performance of the 70-200VR. My yield rate has increased quite a bit and I think VR might be the reason for that.

I have had it for the last couple of weeks. We went on a vacation to the Oregon coast where I practised my skills with it. I really like the lens. I will post the Oregon shots later as I have not yet processed any of them. A brief look tells me that I have a few that might be worth posting.

In the meantime, We took our son to the McChord AFB Air Show last Sunday. It was a blast and we all enjoyed it very much. It was really HOT and we found ourselves looking for shade most of the time. I managed to get quite a few shots at the airshow. I am including some below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More photos can be seen at
    http://jayr.smugmug.com/gallery/703665

Regards.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Jay,

Did you shoot those images with the 70-200mm VR? Without a TC? Those images are gorgeous. I am shooting at the Chicago Air and Water Show in a couple of weeks and was planning on using my 300mm prime, but you really did fine with the 70-200mm. Just curious if you used a TC since your reach was so great. I shot the show last year with my F100 and my 80-400mm VR (which I sold earlier this year). All that I know is that I would love some images like yours from this years show!!!!!

3. Jay, your shots are a testament to that fine lens! Look at that exhaust coming out on the first one! The last one is great as well! Good going!!

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Jay! It is a great lens and you've done well with it on these.

5. These images are incredible! I swear I can hear them passing overhead! Love that 70-200 VROOOM!

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    That first F15 is awesome. You really outdid yourself. I can't think of anything I would change.

The p51 is pretty cool too.

got anymore?

7. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I appreciate all the comments. I was really surprised with the images coming out this lens. Almost like I got up one day and became an expert photographer. :)

Frank - These were shot without any teleconverter (I don't own any).

Patrick - I have included the link to the smugmug gallery which has more photographs.

More photos can be seen at
    http://jayr.smugmug.com/gallery/703665

Thanks.

8. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Fantastic

Jay, those pictures are wonderful. You have 3 or 4 prize winners.

9. Wonderful images Jay. I especially like the first one with the hot gasses from the engine.

10. Hi Jay,

These are really tack sharp.
    very well done. The 70-200 is some lens

One little remark. use a slower shutter speed with planes with propeller. In the second shot the prop of the small plane is frozen. NO CRITIC, just a remark

thanks for sharing

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful

13. Henk

Henk Guest

I'm speechless, WOW!

14. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Went to your link. You got some good shots there.
    Shooting a airshow is on my to do list.

15. Wow, you've taken to that lens like a duck to water!!! You've really made it sing with these images - superb shots.

16. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I appreciate all the comments.

I think my time with the Sigma 70-200 helped me get used to the focal range and the VR just made me a better photog overnight. :) My yield seems to be much better with the VR.

I am really glad I got this lens even though I had to collect pennies for more than a year to afford a used copy.

Regards,

17. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    JayR,

Impressive shooting, very impressive and worth every penny you saved.

18. Wow! These are great shots. Makes me want to go to an airshow now. I have not been to one in years and years.

OOOh I really want this lens. And I want a 200-400 VR tooo!!!!! Someday, I hope I can add these to my equipment.

19. rebrewer

rebrewer

Aug 1, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Nice, sharp shots!

Bob

20. Hi Jay,

WOW! I like them all. I looked at all of the ones you have posted at smug and they are all fantastically sharp and extremely nice colors. Great work!

I would really like to shoot the show here in Chicago in a couple of weeks but I am scheduled to work that weekend. Total bummer!

Thanks for posting.