Air shows

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by AISBLE, Jun 21, 2007.

1. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    I will be shooting at the local air show this Sunday and I was hoping for any tips you guys may have. I'll be using the D200 w/70-200 for the planes that are in the air, I'm planning on these settings: Focus mode to continuous servo, and the AF area mode to Dynamic area w/ closest subject priority.
    I've seen some incredible air show shots from various Cafe members and just wanted to pick everyone's brains.
    Thanks in advance

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    It's been many years since I shot an airshow, long before we had so many options for AF. My F5, the workhorse of the day, only had af-c and af-s and you could select the sensor. Now, I plan on using the center sensor, lock on will be off, and AF-C. I don't see a need for closest subject, you never know what might pop up between you and your target.
    I'm thinking about hitting the Quonsett Point show Sat, If I get home in time, I post what I think worked the best.

Just found a slip of paper on the desk, somewhere I got the following for airshows with a D2x, the D200 should be similar. AF-C, Group Dynamic AF, pattern 1, they say lock on- on, I say off, focus priority.

3. post this down in the airplanes forum. Lot of good advice down there.