1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Air Travel with a large Monopod

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by AFS, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Well it's football season and my job requires that I fly all the way to Oklahoma (Tulsa is closer to Fayetteville, Arkansas than anywhere in Arkansas with a good flight rate apparently) this Friday. I'm having to back a rather substantial amount of kit- clothes for 3 days, 2 bodies, 400/2.8, 70-200, shorter lenses, other camera and computer gear etc.

But since I'm carrying on my camera/computer bag and my Glass Taxi with the 400, that leaves my monopod as a sort of tack on. I don't know if they'll let me carry that on as a personal item or if they'll want me to check it... problem is I don't have a bag to check yet. I'm trying to find maybe a large duffel bag big enough to hold the monopod, but no luck as of yet. The Monopod is a Manfrotto 682B, 3 sections and rather large and bulky but it supports a lot of weight.

I'm flying American Airlines, so if anyone has some firsthand experience with the way they'll let me handle things, I'd really appreciate it. Any solutions are likewise greatly appreciated. I'll be calling the airline as soon as I have a chance.

Thanks!
    Harrison

2. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    When I flew JetBlue I had to check in my Manfrotto 681. I guess it looked too much like a club to the counter rep. After that I switched to a smaller monopod that would collapse down small enough to fit in my Lowepro CompuTrekker bag.

If you're not checking in a bag it'd be hard to swallow paying the $25 check-baggage fee just for your monopod.

3. It not the airlines you should worry about... it's airport security. The screeners hassled me about my monopod, and it took 15 minutes of begging and pleading before they reluctantly let me through security. I fit it into my suitcase for the return flight and all ensuing trips.

4. Also had to check it in after I was rejected at the security check.

5. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I am planning on carrying a monopod and a tripod on my upcoming trip and will be packing it in a suitcase which I will check-in. I normally travel with just my wheeled carry-on and my computer briefcase but I decided to pack my carry-on along with the tripod and monopod in the bigger suitcase so I do not have to worry. This will enable me to carry my camera gear and my computer briefcase along with me on board and I will still have my tripod/monopod available to me when I de-plane.

I would not even bother to convince the TSA guys ..... THEY ARE JUST IDIOTS and no sane person should even entertain the thought of having any conversation with them. I see people being subjected to unnecessary hardship for no reason, every week I travel and it is best to not have any interaction with these people.

6. Yeah, I'll just have to find a bag big enough. I have to check anyways since there's just no room for clothes in my gear bags.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Probably best to just avoid TSA when possible. I had a trip this year with quite a bit of air travel- 6 flights in all- I was 'randomly searched' with the swabs over all my gear every single time.

7. This is one of the reasons that I drive whenever possible.

Glenn

8. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Just be sure not to pack anything else in the checked luggage; I put small pieces (extra flashes, pws etc) in my luggage as I could not carry everything with me, got the luggage four days later minus anything electronic. I heard you can get travel insurance, one video guy who lost his wheeled tripod in air travel said he takes the insurance every time.

9. Harrison...
    American Airlines is one of 6 airlines that flies into Bentonville, which is only about 15 miles +/- from Fayetteville. Much closer than driving from Tulsa to Fayetteville....
    You may already be aware of this, however.

10. Well, I managed to find a duffel bag to check that was the perfect size to carry the monopod, and I was able to bring in my lowepro belt and lens case to keep my wide with me. Worked out quite well, no damage to anything.
    Chayelle, for us it was a matter of our budget. Prices for anywhere but tulsa and driving were too high for the paper to pay for all 6 of us.

11. Glad you worked everything out, especially getting your gear to the game...

12. As we speak I'm at the airport right now, I'm carrying my D3, D2X, SB-900, 16 fisheye, 17-35, 70-200, and my 200-400 VR with both the 1.4 and 1.7 TCs. I have an US security standard carry on luggage and a Dakine computer backpack. With the monopod collapsed, it fits perfect in my luggage case set diagonal. I'm also carrying 4 days worth of clothes, my macbook pro and all my chargers! All carry on, should be no problem. I fly out of LAX like that all the time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.