Air Travel

Going to be going on a cruise in a few weeks.... Going from Toronto to Miami to pick up the ship. I was wondering what you folks do with your gear at the airport, I use a stealth reporter D300AW, Not too big to carry, but do you put it complete through the X-Ray and have as carry on, or do you check it in.....

Just wondering.....Don't want anything lost or damaged, but also don't want to have a line up of angry fellow travelers while some wanna-be-cop in airport security takes my gear apart?:wink:

If you want to keep it,. do not check it, Never leaves my hand on a trip. The x-rays are two different machines. The normal security is OK for cameras and film. The checked X-ray is a whole differnt story, I hear it will ruin film. Someone else can clear this point up.

If you want to keep it,. do not check it, Never leaves my hand on a trip.

Ditto. In addition to the possible (probable?) loss of gear, the Stealth Reporter series just isn't up to being tossed around and mangled up with the rest of the luggage. That includes being gate-checked on a regional jet.

I travel in the states several times a year, and usually with a camera bag. I've carried everything from my small square Tamrac bag, to my Fastpack 250, to my D550AW - I always take my laptop out (as they require), but nobody has ever opened the camera bags or questioned anything in them.

Real Name
William Beem
The X-rays won't hurt it, but baggage handlers most certainly will. In Tampa, people were stealing brand new D3's last fall and selling them for $50 each (per Scott Kelby's blog).

Never, ever trust your gear to someone outside of your own site and control. It could be stolen, damaged, or mishandled and not arrive at your destination with you.

Real Name
William Beem
Which not only makes them crooks, it makes them dumb crooks.:rolleyes:

Tell me about it! That was the hottest camera around and people would've paid a premium to get one. Some fence must've been raking in the bucks from those fools.

I always, always keep my gear in a locked bag either in my hand or on my back in an airport. It never leaves my sight except for the instant it goes through the scanner. Once I'm on the plane it remains under the seat in front of me and accompanies me to the washroom if I must go there. If I'm carrying a few thousand dollars worth of gear, it's staying as close to me as possible and being trusted to nobody.

I've always carried it all in various Lowepro bags, and nothing has ever been damaged in upwards of a dozen flights. I've never experienced any ill effects from the scanners, as far as digital equipment is concerned.

Digital cameras can go right through the carry-on x-rays without a problem. They don't even require to be pulled out of the bag first (only camcorders and laptops). I've taken mine through maybe 20 times and have never been questioned. They can be checked as well with no effects, but I'd recommend holding onto them for safety :smile:.

Film is different. The TSA says film of speed <800 can go through the x-ray scanner (carry-on x-ray scanner) up to 5 times with no ill effects. Film of 800 or higher, film you plan on pushing or pulling, large format, or motion picture film should not go through the carry-on x-ray scanners and should be hand checked. Basically just ask the TSA agent if he/she can hand check your film.

No film should ever go through checked luggage scanners. They usually ask when taking your bags anyway.

They

Latest threads

Top Bottom