Airbus A380 lands at Farnborough

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by jomike, Jul 11, 2008.

1. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    The Airbus A380 came over this afternoon and landed at Farnborough. As usual I was in the back garden taking photos. :biggrin:
    It is difficult to get a sense of how big it is with nothing to give it scale.

2658227761_125ceb3f14_b.jpg

2658230519_9097533f0c_b.jpg

2658233611_bd98f91260_b.jpg

2. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    One hell of a big bird!!! I saw it in flight (approach) when it was going to JFK in New York.

3. Amazing plane, isn't it? I saw it at this year's Berlin Air Show ILA:

304157546_HpSuo-L.jpg

I've also recorded a short video while it was pulled to the runway; the right wing passed over my head.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Fbxbf_X7Q

4. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    Thanks all!

Nice photo and video iotatau. Gives you an idea how big she is!!

5. Mike....
    where do you live?
    how far from the runway?
    do planes THAT big really come THAT close to YOUR house?

great for shooting.... :smile:
    bad for sleeping.... :frown:

6. WOW! All them wheels help for the lack of perspective. Nice shots, I hope they just land over you! I used to live on the approach to Orlando Int. No problem as long as the wind didn't switch. If they were taking off, turn off the TV, put in the ear plugs, and pray the wife doesn't really need to tell you sumthin'

7. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    Thanks for the comments.

I live close to Farnborough airport (used to be a RAF base). Usually there are only business jets landing here, but next week it is the Farnborough International Airshow hence all the activity. At least I will have a grandstand seat. :biggrin:

8. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Hi Mike

I too live close to Farnborough. Maybe we should meet up for a shoot one day?

I'm heading to the show on Monday and Wednesday - I wanna see the YF-22!

9. Impressive plain. Thanks for sharing.

10. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    That's one BIIIIIGG plane. Great photos!

I once saw a C5 taking off from an airshow a very long long time ago. (About 13 years ago. Consumer digital camera doesn't even exist then.) The ground was still shaking even after it lift off. I would love to see a B-52 bomber take off some day. Not too many runway can handle it.

The only big plane I've seen taken off or flying since then was "Fat Albert". :biggrin: Unfortunately, they have to remove the rockets from the "Fat Albert" because it wasn't working properly. Nevertheless, it was still impressive.
    original.gif

11. jomike

jomike

Jun 7, 2008
    Surrey. England
    Thanks for the comments all.

Cougar, that is a Lockheed Hercules not so? I've flown in one of those many years ago. Nice pic :smile:

12. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    Yes Mike. That's a Hercules.