Airplanes, pelican cases, shooting a wedding in Cali...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by iLLMaCK, Aug 27, 2008.

1. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I need some thoughts/comments on pelican cases.
    I'm flying to California Oct 1st to shoot a wedding. I need something that I can put my gear into (I have a backpack now, but it's big, but it works) and possibly roll with me.

I really hate to put my gear down below and have the chance of someone stealing it (but I do have insurance)

Can you guys post some pictures of the pelican cases you have?
    can you/have you taken them on a plane before (fit overhead) or do you leave it curbside?

2. I used to use Pelican 1610 to carry gear if I had to relinquish it at a gate; was way too large for any overhead or carryon. Then, after 9/11 when we could no longer lock our cases that traveled in the belly, I just gave up on carrying it with me.

I use either Fed Ex or Fed Ex Ground or UPS, depending on how fast I have to get the gear to a location. Yes, it is expensive, but not as expensive as having the gear stolen from an unlucked bag in baggage. And ...lately with the airlines charging you for every little ounce you want to carry, I would rather pay FedEx than Continental.

No perfect solution to be sure, but at least I can lock up the Pelican when shipped via Fedex/UPS.

I suppose if your you have only enough gear to fit into a legal sized roll on bag, you might be able to drag it with you, but even that can go wrong. I have had instances where, for one reason or another, the airline blocked me from boarding with the roll on and they wanted me to check it. Yeah - right? Check it in the belly when it is unlocked and unpadded? Once I managed to talk my way on with the bag and once I was forced to walk off the plane.

Anything less than 8 hrs by car - I just drive there.

If you are flying on a non-regional jet, then the Think Tank Airport Security holds a lot of gear and is carry on legal....as long as they don't switch to a smaller plane at departure, which is the time I had to skip the flight

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  3. Ditto on the UPS/Fedex solution. I'm tired of airline headaches.

Sean

4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    The pelican 1510 or 1514 (padded instead of foadm) are the larges pelican carryons allowed. That would be the way i would go, oif you are flying on the smaller planes oyu might have to check it at the gate but that would be the only way i would do it. I wouldnt want to fedex it to many hands involved.

5. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I won't be on small planes, I'll be on JetBlue and they're large planes on both flights.
    I can UPS from work if needed, but I'm looking to upgrade to a hard case for while I'm home too.

6. Dave...
    this link shows some bags I use. These have the soft bag inside a pelican bag...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

hmm, interesting.
    Thanks for the link...

Ouch on the $300+ lol

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I have the Pelican 1510 roller case, and it fits the overhead bin easily. No problems with regular planes.

9. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Any complaints with it?

10. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I'd really like to see some pictures of these, but all the sites just have pictures of them closed. I think I'm leaning towards that one John, with the foam of course and the lid organizer.

$200 on amazon for both.

11. There is no doubt the 1510 will fit in an overhead.....the problems are:

1. It might not be large enough to hold an entire kit.

2. There is still the chance that the 1510 will be bounced from the plane. Either the overheads could be too full (if you have traveled lately, you know that every single passenger is carrying on everything they own to avoid the bag check fees) or, as I mentioned above, they could substitute an RJ for the normal plane. No matter what the reason is, if the Pelican gets bumped, it goes in cargo, unlocked.

3. And....just when you thought airlines couldn't make flying any worse, these days the clowns at the gate are beginning to address the weight limit for carryons. The physical dimensions of the case may fit in the overhead, but I have seen situations where gate personnel insist that the carryon is too heavy. FYI - Continental, American and Delta says that a carry on cannot exceed 40lbs and, while they never used to enforce that, they often do these days since o/h space is at such a premium.

I was on a flight recently where I was delayed in getting to the gate (gee- how unusual these days) and found that I couldn't fit a small Domke bag into the overhead. Had it under my feet for the entire flight.

Bottom line is that if you ship ahead, the gear is locked in the case. Sure it can be pilfered with bolt cutters or stolen outright, but at least I can go after Fedex/ups/the hotel if that happens. If a loss occurs at or between airports......good luck!

12. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I'm just looking at all options right now.
    I've never seen a small plane from JetBlue, where as I have on US & United.

Theft is the biggest concern for me, I know it happens. And airline insurance is worthless too.

13. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I prefer the dividers personally, although the foam provides the best protection. No problem with it at all - I use it quite extensively.

14. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It's a good size. I can get two pro bodies, 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 2 SB800's, SU800, 10.5 fisheye and some other stuff in fairly easily.

15. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

are the dividers separate? link?

16. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

What I will be taking to Cali is...

D200
    D50
    S5
    12-24
    50 f/1.8
    70-200
    SB800
    SB600x2
    17-50

I'll be mailing my tripod & monopod out there before hand.

17. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The case comes with dividers or foam. B&H should show it both ways. The kit you have should fit, although the 3rd body might be a squeeze.

18. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

I think I've made up my mind, unless there are any other suggestions...:)

19. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

Do you guys have any pictures of your gear inside?