1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Airshow restrictions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TedB, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I'm looking forward to attending my first airshow in a couple weeks at MCAS San Diego. In looking through some of the restrictions, one caught my attention as they only allow backpacks that are of a maximum size of 8.5" x 11". This would eliminate any of my backpacks.

It appears I'll have to carry the long lens (200-400mm) on a body, and maybe a Domke type back for a backup body/lens/and "stuff".

Any one with experience in attending such an event that might have an alternative recommendation?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

2. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I went last year, and took my large Domke bag, but had no problems getting it in. I was going to use my Slingshot 300 this year, but maybe I'll stick with my bag. BTW, see this thread :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Thanks Shaun, sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm going on Friday, we'll see who I bump into.

4. I attended my first air show here on the east coast back in June. There were no backpack restrictions that I recall - but everyone had to go through a security check.

I didn't know what to expect at the show, but was so pleased as I got some really awesome shots. The RAF Red Arrows performed! Don't know how to post them here or I would show you.

5. You may wish to contact the Base Public Affairs Office to get some more definite info.

6. Good suggestion, I'll give a ring to the base.

Thanks

7. Good to check however, I'll bet thats a standard "Clause" and you'll have no trouble at all.
    I've been to many, many airshows. with camera back pack. I was only asked to open it once. They took a quick peek and said thank you sir.
    Afterall,.. what?? somebody's standing there at the gate with a tape measure?? Ohh, yours is 8", OK, but yours sir, 9 1/4" no, you can't bring that in.....

8. Well I had the same problem at Travis air show. They would'nt let me in with my backpack , so I took it back to the car. After I went back in , I saw several people with large backpacks , so I guess it depends what line you go through. They look inside , so what is the problem.

9. I was a MP on MCAS Miramar for 6 years, as long as the bag is reasonable size you should have no problem.

They'll check you at the entrance points to the flight line, not at the gates to the base. If anything you'll have to carry your camera and lens from your car to the flight line. The offer buses from the different parking areas also.

10. Yeah, I don't remember anyone being turned away, or there being any problems... all they did was check to see what was in my bag, and then gave a sticker to be put on it. I think I'm going to still try my Slingshot 300, but I'll take the bag just in case I need to go back to get it instead.

11. I have been to several shows in the last year and the only time I see restrictions are the shows on military bases. In the last five months I have attended the Planes of Fame in CA, Thunder over Michigan, and they had no restrictions. Also, the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends in Ohio last year had no restrictions. Going to NAS Oceana this weekend and they have a restriction on large bags. Since I carry a couple of D300s, a 300mm f2.8 VR, a 70-200mm, and other lens, my backpack is quite large. Here's hoping I don't get a stickler for rules when I go through security.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.