Alas, my Minolta SR1 has succumbed to old age.

My Minolta SR1, purchased in 1960, has taken thousands of pictures. It traveled to South Korea with me in 1960, and continued to be used for another 30 years or so. I recently rescued it from storage and gave it another try. One roll of B&W determined the following. Body is extremely clean, always used with the case, however the shutter fails between 1 sec to 1/8 sec. Of the three lenses, the Minolta 55mm f2.0 has oil on the aperture blades (works fine wide open!), the Komura 35mm f2.5 has a sticky manual aperture stop down ring, the Minolta 135mm f2.5 was fine, even the aperture stop down worked. The lenses may have fungus, did not look that close.

If you are still with me, I included a few pictures of the setup, and one picture from Seoul, South Korea, showing the release of a brand new movie.

A few years ago I scanned all my slides and negatives with a Nikon Coolscan 4000 and Vuescan. Since I have this scanner I am toying with the idea of another film camera, maybe a nice used modern Nikon FM?

1 The Minolta SR1 and attachments.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 Clean SR1 body. 60 years old.

3 Picture from the NCO barracks in Seoul showing the camera bag. Everything pictured above fits in the bag.

4 New motion picture release in Seoul, 1962.

Ron

Real Name
Chris
That's some classic stuff you've got there Ron! And pics from the 1960s are priceless!

I'd certainly recommend getting another film camera. There are bargains galore! What modern lenses do you have, and perhaps we can make some suggestions to take advantage of them.

Hi Chris. I do have one old lens I would consider for something like a FM. A Nikkor 50mm F1.4D, all other full frame lenses are way too heavy/bulky, the rule here would be simple, elegant.

Just giving this a thought for now.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom