Alas, Poor D610

Real Name
Tim
So, in a hurry one morning, half awake, and under caffenited, trying to get into work, I was loading stuff into my car, and set my camera bag down beside the car....(you can probably see where this is going....)

So, as I'm backing up the car suddenly stops moving. Yep. My bag. I calmly got out of the car, picked up my bag, which looked ok short a few scuffs and a small hole right over where the 610 was placed. I decided not to open the bag just then but calmly went about my routine.

Later that morning I opened up the bag, looked at the lenses not attached to a body, and they were fine. The 610 and 24-70 also looked fine and the D7100 looked pristine (which it is since I don't use it a lot). I set about that afternoon to take some photos with the 14-24 and the 610 and all appeared to be well - I got some nice shots and really didn't notice much amiss.

Fast forward to last night (a day or so later) and I'm sitting on the beach watching the sun set over Puget Sound with ferries going by - some great shot opportunities. I have the tamron 24-70 on the body when I notice that it simply won't focus about 90% of the time....so I switch to auto, no flash, 39 FP and notice that only focal points left of center are catching - anything from center right just simply won't attain focus. So I sat down in some bright light and took a closer look at the body and that's when I noticed separation of the lens mount area from the body, slight but evident, and a slight almost imperceptible tweaking of the mount (even tho lenses were going on normally).

Took it to a local shop today and was pretty much told that in all likelihood the body frame itself is bent and it would cost more than the value of the camera to try and get it repaired. However he did suggest either sending it to Nikon or APS to see if they could do anything for it...but doubted they would be able to.

So should I bother even sending it to either/or to see if its repairable at less then the cost of a new D610, or bite it and just buy an 810, sell the 610 for parts and the grip outright? If I send it in I'll be shooting with my 7100 on our upcoming trip through the North Cascades...

The perils of being under-caffeinated! Sorry to read this, but you sound like you've taken it all in stride!
Well, the D810 is one nice body, and the price has come down. A new 610 is what, $1500? A D810 is 2990. A 750 is 2000. Glazer's has a used 610 for 1200.
I'd give APS a call and see what they can tell you.

Real Name
Tim
The perils of being under-caffeinated! Sorry to read this, but you sound like you've taken it all in stride!
Well, the D810 is one nice body, and the price has come down. A new 610 is what, $1500? A D810 is 2990. A 750 is 2000. Glazer's has a used 610 for 1200.
I'd give APS a call and see what they can tell you.

Thanks - Things like this you have to take them in stride - especially when it was an exercise in stupidity on my part.

I was going to give APS a call tomorrow morning - have a feeling they're going to tell me the same thing, but worth a shot. Going to check my homeowners insurance too to see if I can go that route.

As to what body - wrt the D750 I'm not a fan of the articulated screen - while most say it isn't an issue I know I'd end up breaking it off at some point...I've been biding my time on an 810 for a year or so now, so depending on outcome with APS I'll more than likely end up going with an 810...

If I send it in I'll be shooting with my 7100 on our upcoming trip through the North Cascades...

Sorry to hear about this - I feel your pain. As a consolation, on my recent three-week trip to Hawaii I left my D610 at home and carried only the D7100. Except for a very few shots taken in low light, I am very pleased with the results. I was using my new 16-80 f/2.8-4.0 DX lens most of the time.

... it was an exercise in stupidity on my part.

Going to check my homeowners insurance too to see if I can go that route.

Don't think they insure against that type of event...:D

Real Name
Tim
APS agreed with the local guys that it would cost more than the value of the body to fix it...

So new camera time....contrary to what I said above, I think I am going to go with the d750...but still debating....

Real Name
Mark
Tim,
I have a D750 as well. I to was concerned about breaking the the articulating screen. Short answer is don't use it - there is nothing to break, but when you need it - you are going to love it.
Mark

Real Name
Tim
And it's arrived!!!

I'm going to take it out for a spin tomorrow afternoon for a bit then we have a week in the Methow Valley in eastern Washington starting on Thursday....so it will get put thru it's paces...a couple test shots and I like it...I can see marginal use of the articulated screen if I'm doing video (rare) so for the most part it will stay in place. The 51AF points will take some getting used to but with the D7100 I wasn't having issues. Love how quiet the shutter is...

Pics to come.... :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom