1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Alaska Cruise - Which lenses

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by tony-b, Jul 11, 2018.

1. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    We are heading out on an Alaskan cruise. Shore excursions include glaciers, whale watching, a train through the landscape and Buschard Garden. I’m bringing a D810 and D700 by not sure on lenses. From the list below, I’d appreciate help in picking what to bring. Thanks.

16-35 VR F4
    24-70 F2.8
    24-120 VR F4
    70-200 VR F2.8
    300 PF F4
    14mm fisheye
    50mm f1.4
    85mm f1.8

2. I would bring the 24-120mm and the 50mm. It's taken me years to evolve to this point and realize that these types of family trips and excursions are not really about my photography. I love my 24-120mm and use it for 95% of my shooting in this scenario. I like to throw a small, fast lens (f1.4) in my bag just to have something for low light situations (dinner, dancing, etc...). The only other consideration is whether you want to bring your 300mm just for the whale watching. If you're comfortable bringing this lens for that excursion it might be worth your while. My 24-70mm, 70-200mm and 16-35mm would all stay home.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'd suggest the 16-35 and the 70-200. Close to what I recall taking on my first trip up there. They will give you broad and selective landscape/wildlife capabilities and be useful on the train and in the gardens. The 50 will fill the gap between them and will, as Mitch notes, be useful in low light settings.

4. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    I'd say bring them all, but I doubt your ship is leaving from Florida. I'd bring the 50, 24-120 and the 300 and a 1.4x TC if you have one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Holy moly! Which cruise ship are you going on? We are heading out on a 7 day cruise on Celebrity Solstice and I was contemplating this very issue.....

I am bringing two bodies (D850 and D500) -

My short lens list is 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, 300 pf (no TC) and the 200-500....

6. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    We're going out on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas. I'm also bringing two bodies, D810 and D700 for backup and times when changing lenses in not practical. I'm still reading through the above advice regarding lenses and trying to make a decision.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice! Our ships will probably pass each other at some point....:) 

8. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    Went several years ago. I'd bring the D810 and the 2 f/4 zooms. Unless you're planning a whale watch excursion 200mm-300mm probably isn't long enough. And do you really want to carry those around just for "if you get lucky?".

9. davidzvi

davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    Massachusetts
    David
    You know that's how I got into m4/3. My wife and I were headed on a road trip to the Biltmore and the smallest thing I had was the D700 and 28-105. Picked up an E-PM1 and kits lens. Camera and lens were smaller than the 28-105 lens alone and fit in a jacket pocket. Been hocked even since.

Vacation 2012 - BlueberryPhoto

10. So I'm taking exactly what I said above on our cruise: D850/D500, 14-24 24-70, 70-200, 200-500 and I may toss the 8-15 Fisheye in the bag for grins and giggles. I'm taking a smaller "excursion" backpack so what I take out in that will depend on what the outing is...

11. I think I'd agree with Mitchell .. the 24-120 is plenty for most everything you might want to capture. We just returned from 3 weeks worth of car trip, coast-to-coast, and my "new" 14-24 2.8 and my 80-200 2.8 both went out of the bag only a couple of times. No big deal since we had plenty of room inside the truck, but if I were on a cruise or out and about in a place where I really didn't want to lug around a case full of gear, the 24-120 would be fine!!

I'll look forward to seeing your images on your return ... my wife has been suggesting that a cruise to/from Alaska would be a lot easier and more fun than our original plan of driving the Alaska Highway up and back. (We live near Seattle, so roads are an option!)

Cheers!!

Ken

12. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    Thanks, everyone. Since I pack carryon only and we are walking off the boat first thing the morning we return, I was able to pack the 16-35, 24-120, 50 and 300. I had to pack a few non-photo items in the Think Tank backpack so sacrifices had to be made.

We arrived in Seattle yesterday and the 24-120 was excellent for walking around Pike Place Market, Space Needle and waterfront. I kept the 16-35 for tighter spaces on the ship but still wonder how much I’ll use it. My wife was kind enough to use my Think Tank UD35 as her personal carryon bad so I’ll be swapping out gear to a smaller bag depending on what we have planned for the day.

One thing I’m trying on this trip is backing up the memory cards to my Hyperdrive/Sandho and using the iPad Pro with Lightroom and Photoshop mobile for light edits for posting. I didn’t want to bring a laptop and hoping a lighter setup works for the few images I may share until I get back to the iMac.

Off to the port. Thanks again for the assistance.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.