Alaska Cruise?

Hi all. I have searched the forum on this topic and so am pretty set on my lens choices. BUT, on the wide side would I miss much having the Nikon 18-70 instead of wider. I am not generally a landscape person, but Alaska is a bit of an exception, so should I go for wider or be happy with what I have?

Thanks all
Nancy

12-24nikon or sigma 10-20 may be a good thing to have.
The vistas you will be seeing will surely be beautiful.
Got 2 cameras:>))lolol
Fill up those pockets on the vest:>))))
I would prob take all the lenses I own, if I were ever lucky enough to go.
I can lend you an 80-400 vr with a tc. if you want
the 300 2 may be tough to set up on a tripod
I tested the 70-300vr with kenko 1.4 tc. It works fine.
I have no wide angle lenses.
24-120 VR is the widest. You can borrow that to if you want
I also have a 77 and 72 mm polarizers if needed. (moose peterson polarizers)
Lucky girl.

12-24nikon or sigma 10-20 may be a good thing to have.
The vistas you will be seeing will surely be beautiful.
Got 2 cameras:>))lolol
Fill up those pockets on the vest:>))))
I would prob take all the lenses I own, if I were ever lucky enough to go.
I can lend you an 80-400 vr with a tc. if you want
the 300 2 may be tough to set up on a tripod
I tested the 70-300vr with kenko 1.4 tc. It works fine.
I have no wide angle lenses.
24-120 VR is the widest. You can borrow that to if you want
I also have a 77 and 72 mm polarizers if needed. (moose peterson polarizers)
Lucky girl.

I know, I know!!! I do not want to miss out on anything:tongue: !! Thanks for all your offerings!! I will have to think on things. I might look at that Sigma. It has been getting good reviews. The Tokina 12-24 F4 also has been getting good reviews. I did get myself a monopod, so will be taking that with my lighter weight tripod.

Nancy

Well your welcome to anything I have:>))
Extra cf cards you may need.
I can lend ya the D200 to if you want
LOLOL
I just tried the tc on the 24-120 vr and that works to.
How silly.

When you going July, was it

I doubt you could take a bad Alaska landscape image.lolol There is so much of it. Just take pics of it at all different angles and lengths.

I sure am glad I have VR lenses:>)))))

I think I would take my 50mm 1.8 as well.

heehee I have a photo jacket to, wonder if i could walk with ALL those pockets full.....lolol mine is a full jacket as aposed to your shorter one.

I took an Alaskian Cruise and small group inland tour a couple of summers ago. I didn't find that I needed anything wider than my 17-55, but your shooting style may be different. My Alaska photos here:

http://www.jkphotogallery.com/Alaska/index.html

Those are lovely pics!! Well, a friend of mine has the Nikon 12-24 he said I could borrow so that takes care of that, just in case.

Cheers
Nancy

A wonderful trip!

I would seriously recommend a 300mm or, at least a 200mm lens, as you will have the opportunity to shoot whales, eagles, bears, moose, and even those cute little otters.

The 18-70 should suffice as you will be taking most of your landscapes from the ship and there will be enough distance from land to capture wide panoramic shots.

When we were on a tour of Alaska, almost all of my shots were from a Nikon 24-85mm AFS and the 70-200 VR. You can view them here:

http://www.pbase.com/paulcasi/alaska_2004

Hope this helps.

PaulC

A wonderful trip!

I would seriously recommend a 300mm or, at least a 200mm lens, as you will have the opportunity to shoot whales, eagles, bears, moose, and even those cute little otters.

The 18-70 should suffice as you will be taking most of your landscapes from the ship and there will be enough distance from land to capture wide panoramic shots.

When we were on a tour of Alaska, almost all of my shots were from a Nikon 24-85mm AFS and the 70-200 VR. You can view them here:

http://www.pbase.com/paulcasi/alaska_2004

Hope this helps.

PaulC

Your pics are great!! Yes, I will have my 70-300VR and my 300 2.8 with TC's and a light tripod and monopod. So, I think I will be well covered.

Nancy

Hi Nancy, I took this cruise last August. Bring as much as you can carry. I used my 500 for the bears, it was great, and some whale images from the ship, we had a balcony. I would also bring a laptop or something to d/l the images to. I took over 1700 that week and it rained 3 days. What cruise line and what stops are you making?

Larz

Hi Nancy, I took this cruise last August. Bring as much as you can carry. I used my 500 for the bears, it was great, and some whale images from the ship, we had a balcony. I would also bring a laptop or something to d/l the images to. I took over 1700 that week and it rained 3 days. What cruise line and what stops are you making?

Larz

Hi. We are going with Princess lines,the ship is the Golden Princess, leaving out of Seattle returning to Seattle. The stops are Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord,Kechikan and Victoria, BC. I plan on taking just about everything, including my laptop and I have a external 40gig HD. I will be taking everything in my signature except the 100-300 and 100mm macro, plus I have a friend who is lending me a Nikon 12-24. Also, plan on taking my bogen tripod with my ball head, not the Wimberley, unless you think the Wimberley would come in handy. I think we will be a bit early for the bears, at least that is what I have read. We also have a balcony. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :smile:

Thanks
Cheers
Nancy

One suggestion: As long as you will have a tripod try taking some panoramas. It is my solution to not having a wide, wide angle. Of course it doesn't work so well on moving objects. Lol

Hi. We are going with Princess lines,the ship is the Golden Princess, leaving out of Seattle returning to Seattle. The stops are Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm Fjord,Kechikan and Victoria, BC. I plan on taking just about everything, including my laptop and I have a external 40gig HD. I will be taking everything in my signature except the 100-300 and 100mm macro, plus I have a friend who is lending me a Nikon 12-24. Also, plan on taking my bogen tripod with my ball head, not the Wimberley, unless you think the Wimberley would come in handy. I think we will be a bit early for the bears, at least that is what I have read. We also have a balcony. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. :smile:

Thanks
Cheers
Nancy

We went whale watching in Juneau, it rained, but we saw some whales and eagles, sea lions and harbor seals. It was exciting, but the weather was so bad, I didnt have alot of keepers. See if there is a raft trip, we did that in Skagway I think. Katchikan was where the bear watch was. I took a small plane to a hatchery and there they were, on the other side, eating the Slamon. They were about 100 ft away. Very cool!

When I think of more, I will let you know. You can see some of the images on my site. They need to be edited and alot more added, time just will not allow it now.

We did the glacier cruise from Vancouver and it was totally fun. The captain remarked we were pretty lucky as the weather was 90% perfect. I agree with the comments on no need need for ultawide as you will be away from shore. 300mm will be great of otters, they are great.

I'm going in June. I have the 18-70 and am about to order the 70-300VR for the trip. I don't plan to bring a tripod (I'm not going to carry around THAT much stuff on vacation). Celebrity line going to Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

I'm going in June. I have the 18-70 and am about to order the 70-300VR for the trip. I don't plan to bring a tripod (I'm not going to carry around THAT much stuff on vacation). Celebrity line going to Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

That is plenty and you will have a ball. Eagles are numerous, especially near the fish processing areas. ENJOY

Real Name
William Beem
Do you have any excursions planned? When I went a few years ago, we did some trail hikes, a glacier trek, a flight-seeing tour through Misty Fjords, and more. It'll be easy to fill up a couple of cards at each stop, not to mention what you may see while cruising.

I took that trip when all I had was a crappy little Nikon Coolpix 775. I can't count how much I missed because of its slow shutter speed. That trip is what convinced me to get a DSLR. Now I need to go back there to use my gear.

Latest threads

Top Bottom