Alaska eagles

These pictures were taken during my recent fishing trip to Alaska. This means from a moving boat, with the D2H + 70-200VR + 1.7TC (VR in active mode).

The king of the forest, looking for a target
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Same intent... different location

He spotted the fish

Ready to strike!

It's a matter of time...

... and of timing

Gotcha! 8)

The "feeding circle", where dozens of eagles and gulls partake in what looks like a big buffet (shot from probably over 1/2 mile away...)

Thanks for looking! ;-)

Terrific series Phillpe!! What a time it must have been, fishing and photographing, what a beautiful place. I too know how hard it is to shoot off a moving boat. Thank goodness for VR!!

Another excellent series Philippe. Did you carry your equipment in a Pelican case?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Many thanks again, folks. I really enjoyed taking these pics and now sharing them. Without the active VR mode on the 70-200, I don't know what I could have brought back...

As for the equipment, no need for a pelican case, it was kept in my LowePro backpack, inside the cabin of the boat, similar to the ones seen here, and yes I did catch plenty of fish too, as shown there! ;-)

If you have a chance, I highly recommend that type of vacation: just a few days is enough to recharge your batteries and put your mind at peace. 8)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Philippe

Incredible series, small glass and handheld to boot :eek: Great captures.............so how was the fishing :roll: , got to ask, always wanted to do that :D

Keith

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keith, thanks for the note. Yes, I was pretty fortunate and the VR in active mode really helped a lot. As for the fishing, you can have a look here for a picture of the catch on day #3 (which was the sunniest and the most productive). :lol:

This is a highly recommended experience, plus you get to eat your own fish the rest of the year, as they filet the fish, freeze it and send it with you back home, in 50 lbs boxes... ;-) :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillipe,

You may have noticed it that I'm a big fan of your fishing trip photos but also of those eagle shots. Impressive shots of an impressive bird. The picture of the eagle hanging vertical in the sky probably making a turn is just great. Being not a fan of exotic places on earth, makes Alaska my cup of tea. I'm fond of long-stretched forests and huge lakes.
Alaska combining with photography is top. So, I guess I already start with saving the money for the big trip :D

Superb Phillipe, don't hesitate posting some more 8)

Kind Regards

Johan

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom