Alaska eagles

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Philippe Roger, Jul 3, 2005.

1. These pictures were taken during my recent fishing trip to Alaska. This means from a moving boat, with the D2H + 70-200VR + 1.7TC (VR in active mode).

The king of the forest, looking for a target
    [​IMG]

Same intent... different location
    [​IMG]

He spotted the fish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ready to strike!
    [​IMG]

It's a matter of time...
    [​IMG]

... and of timing
    [​IMG]

Gotcha! 8)
    [​IMG]

The "feeding circle", where dozens of eagles and gulls partake in what looks like a big buffet (shot from probably over 1/2 mile away...)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! ;-)

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Wow again, Philippe!! What a great series. You don't normally see shots with the angle you have in 3 and 4. Very nice!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful stuff Philippe,

Thanks for sharing.

5. These are great shots Phillipe! I know what it means to shot eagles from a boat, I did it the other day with the 80-400 and of aboyt 40 shots two where in focus!

Did you get any fish?

6. Terrific series Phillpe!! What a time it must have been, fishing and photographing, what a beautiful place. I too know how hard it is to shoot off a moving boat. Thank goodness for VR!!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Another excellent series Philippe. Did you carry your equipment in a Pelican case?

8. Many thanks again, folks. I really enjoyed taking these pics and now sharing them. Without the active VR mode on the 70-200, I don't know what I could have brought back...

As for the equipment, no need for a pelican case, it was kept in my LowePro backpack, inside the cabin of the boat, similar to the ones seen here, and yes I did catch plenty of fish too, as shown there! ;-)

If you have a chance, I highly recommend that type of vacation: just a few days is enough to recharge your batteries and put your mind at peace. 8)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Hi Philippe

Incredible series, small glass and handheld to boot :eek: Great captures.............so how was the fishing :roll: , got to ask, always wanted to do that :D

Keith

10. Keith, thanks for the note. Yes, I was pretty fortunate and the VR in active mode really helped a lot. As for the fishing, you can have a look here for a picture of the catch on day #3 (which was the sunniest and the most productive). :lol:

This is a highly recommended experience, plus you get to eat your own fish the rest of the year, as they filet the fish, freeze it and send it with you back home, in 50 lbs boxes... ;-) :p

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Nice series would love to be there and do both photography and fishing doesn't get much better than that

12. Wow, what an incredible series!

13. Good shootin'!! The second shot is a definite inspirational wall hanger!! :D :D :D :D

14. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Phillipe,

You may have noticed it that I'm a big fan of your fishing trip photos but also of those eagle shots. Impressive shots of an impressive bird. The picture of the eagle hanging vertical in the sky probably making a turn is just great. Being not a fan of exotic places on earth, makes Alaska my cup of tea. I'm fond of long-stretched forests and huge lakes.
    Alaska combining with photography is top. So, I guess I already start with saving the money for the big trip :D

Superb Phillipe, don't hesitate posting some more 8)

Kind Regards

Johan