Alaska Range Flightseeing

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by Toklat, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    In March of this year we had a couple of overseas visitors- one from Japan and the other from Australia. They were in Alaska to Judge a dog show in Anchorage (my wife is an AKC judge).
    With some clear weather in the forcast, we got them up bright and early for the 2 hour drive to Talkeetna and a flightseeing trip to the Ruth glacier and amphitheater on the south flanks of Denali.
    We arranged the flight with Talkeetna Air Taxi with a landing on the glacier. We actually landed on a hanging valley glacier above the Ruth.

MAP
    http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat...00&size=l&symshow=n&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

The glacier is some 40miles in length, winding its way to the south through the truly spectacular Great Gorge that is deeper than the Grand Canyon. At this point the glacier narrows down to about one mile wide with granite monoliths rising 5,000 feet above the ice on either side. In 1983 the ice in the Great Gorge was measured to be 3,800 feet thick.
    This is also just a wonderful place to get dropped off for a week or so of Alpine climbing in late March through April.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    wow
    That is beautiful
    Thanks for the flight:>))))

3. Ohh. I've "done" similar runs in the incredibly detailed MS FS2004 so I 'dig' the photos of doing it in a real life Beaver. Thanks for the wonderful photos.

4. Wow, wow, wow. Brad Washburn would be proud of these.

5. John, these are wonderful images, esp the last ones.

The Canadian great north was opened up with the deHavilland Beaver - a beast of a wee plane. Still dependable.

6. Toklat

Toklat

Aug 31, 2006
    Alaska
    Thanks for coming along for the ride Gale!

Hi Alex,

That is a flight simulator I assume?

Hi Sean,

Thanks! Brad Washburn, Don Sheldon……they did some amazing work in these ranges. Washburn’s B/W Hasselblad images are still the gold standard for studying new routes.

Hi Sandi and thanks. You are so right. The Beaver is a northcountry legend in Canada and Alaska. Roomy, rugged, stable and great performance on floats, skis, and wheels. I had my first ride in one about 1975.

7. What happened to the pictures? I don't see any.