Alaska, the Last Frontier

Real Name
Dan
May 16, 2013. The sun rose this morning at 0508 and will set at 2244 for a total of 17hrs 36min of daylight. The temperature at my house is 37F(2.8C).... and it's been snowing all day :confused: :frown: :mad:

Anyone have a job opening somewhere sunny? :redface:

What's the Alaskan moto, "North to the Future"...? :tongue:

Just don't move to the Pacific NW, you'll only be trading snow for rain...! :rolleyes: :tongue:

I'd swap houses with you if you're interested. Sydney is coming into Winter and its been the warmest run of 20C+ days in history, I think. I can't stand summer.

Yes, I'll swap with you too although it's grey and rainy here so you wouldn't be gaining much. We might get a few days of sunshine next month or the month after though! :m64:

Come to think of it, I'd swap with any of you!

Real Name
Dan
There is a reason that AK is so sparsely populated. In the end that's why we live here. Not fond of places with high population density. This year winter is hanging on a long time. These conditions are actually worse than full on winter though, cold and wet.

We lived in western WA for eight years though not in quite as wet a spot as Aberdeen. Will be visiting down under for three weeks this coming November. London... would love to visit for the historical aspect but not sure if/when we'll make it over that way.

I've got a dog agility event to shoot tomorrow and snow is forecast. If they're right I guess it will make for some interesting photos :confused:

Just whining a bit...

I am sure you love it.
I have lived in various places in these United states..
Georgia, So. Cal, No. Cal, Tucson, Oregon, Washington and Anchorage.
they all have their great points, and right now, the PNW which I love and Dan am like you, like the lack of density and spend a fair time on Mt. St Helens, hiking, snow shoeing, and now, shooting for the Forest service on weekends and such. I have loved all the places I have lived. They all have fantastic points, but one thing I have found, I prefer cooler than hotter as when its too hot as in Tucson or Georgia in the summer, I was limited to my outdoor activities due to the heat or humidity or both. But my years in Eagle River, were great. Life moves very fast.. so enjoy

May 16, 2013. The sun rose this morning at 0508 and will set at 2244 for a total of 17hrs 36min of daylight. The temperature at my house is 37F(2.8C).... and it's been snowing all day :confused: :frown: :mad:

Anyone have a job opening somewhere sunny? :redface:

LoL!
When I was stationed in Iceland, I loved the extremes in daylight time and night time...:smile:

I would swap, but you would have to keep my wife...I can't get her to move to AK, even though we have been there on vacation twice...I would love to make the move...ah well maybe...someday.

Real Name
Dan
This has been a wierd spring. The migratory birds are having a hard time of it. We were out on Prince William Sound last weekend and hardly any bald eagles around yet. By now we should have leaves on the trees and there's no sign of them so far. Just starting to see a few willow buds which are typically the first rays of hope :smile:

Yesterday, we suddenly got unusually large numbers of white crowned sparrows with a few golden crowned mixed in (which are very rarely seen here). Eagles are in the area (they nest nearby along the East Fork of the Chulitna River). We got another 4 inches of snow last night, and a forecast for up to 9 inches more today. We'd generally have some open water on our lakes by this date, but for now, the snow is still 3 feet deep on top of the ice.

Yesteday afternoon there were 30 or more birds around our bird feeders, when out of the heavily falling snow an osprey dove at the feeder birds. Pretty strange! I've seen osprey here a few times soaring around, but never have I seen one dive on birds at a feeder (goshawks do fairly commonly).

Real Name
Dan
It's definately an odd spring this year, Steve. I was thinking of driving up to the sandhill crane reserve in Trapper Creek this weekend. But with this weather it looks like that's not a great idea :frown:

On a merely geographical standpoint, I've always thought that South Africa must have a great climate.. but I've never been there. Where I come from, Liguria, is truly a pleasure, with temperatures ranging from 0 C to 30/35C at most; where I live now it's quite the opposite, although not as cold as in Alaska BRRRRRR we have much colder temperatures in winter and sultrier in summer.. and it's just 60 miles from where I grew up...

Latest threads

Top Bottom