Alaska, Train to Denali

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by obelix, Jul 16, 2005.

1. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Travelogue here:

http://clixclix.blogspot.com/2005/07/alaska-travelogue-part-3-train-to.html

[​IMG]

Train and mountain range, Tokina 12-24

[​IMG]

Looking down, Tokina 12-24

[​IMG]

Lake along the route, Tokina 12-24

[​IMG]

Full speed ahead, Tokina 12-24

[​IMG]

The car, Tokina 12-24, SB 800 fill flash

[​IMG]

Mountain ranges, close to Denali National Park, 70-200 VR AF-S

[​IMG]

Peeping at the derailed car, 70-200 VR AF-S

[​IMG]

Horseshoe Lake, Tokina 12-24

2. Wow Anand!

Spectacular indeed! :shock: Was the picture with fill flash that really looks like taken from the side of the railroad captured while the train was moving? From your left extended hand perhaps? That is a crazy shot!! :shock: And so is the one looking up front at what appears to be high speed... with a bush/hazard right in front :shock::shock: The look at the derailed car is interesting as well. And then, ahhh... the landscapes! 8) ;-)

It looks like you were playing a bit dangerously, but you definitely got some great results with that Tokina 12-24. I know I love mine. ;-) :lol:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow what beautiful scenery you have shown here.

Thanks for my tour of Alaska. Thats as close as I will get.

4. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Philippe

Thanks!

All photos were taken hanging and leaning out of the window, I was able to stretch out nearly 2 feet out and then grab the shots, damn, should have tried the one arm stunt.

But with the SB 800 on, the camera feels real heavy, it got real queasy with the 70-200 VR + flash leaning out :) and I prayed that the optech neck strap takes the load well if for some reason I let the camera go :)

I should say that I have done some real dumb things as a teen ager growing up in India :D. We used to hang outside buses (of course they get *really* crowded) with an arm holding some thing :) and may be a foot in the footboard, memories flew past - too dangerous as I think about that now, the train was much better.

But now that you say, I wonder what would have happened if the door swung open though :(

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Excellant series Anand. The color saturation is wonderful and I like how you shot along the exterior of the train shooing forward.

6. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Gale

Thanks.

Actually, I saw many many families who had driven from North and South Carolina, Texas and one even from Washington DC :)

They had a RV and were on a 3 month-ish road trip. I wonder how awesome it would be if you start in Florida, drove through this magnificient country and drove to Alaska :)

anand

7. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA

The tokina is my first non-nikkor lens. I was worried about color and contrast. But no, this lens *sings* with color. And of course, NC did the rest.

8. Beautiful scenery!!! :D :D :D

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Anand! I was on that same train last summer going the other direction (started in Fairbanks). Did you get to see the "Great One", Mount McKinley/Denali or was it hidden by clouds?

10. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Bryan, Dan

Don - sure did :) - surrounded by clouds. I read that there is a 5% chance of a clear sighting of the great one. My next post is the mountains of Denali, tomorrow, don't want to spam the forum with more than one post / day.

11. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Great! Look forward to seeing them! We had wonderful clear skies with just a few wispy clouds around and had a great view of the mountain. What a spectacular sight!