Alaskan Cruise questions

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by GaryW, May 21, 2005.

1. GaryW

GaryW Guest

My wife and I are leaving tomorrow morning for a 7 day Alaskan cruise. It will be in the Inside Passage and we will be going to Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Glacier Bay.

Does anyone know of "must see and photograph" spots along that route? We are taking a few shore excursions, mainly wildlife stuff (whales, etc.).

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

2. Be ready anytime

I have not taken the cruise up the inside passage but have spent some time in southeast AK. The photographic opportunities are countless and can pop up anytime. My guess is that your tour company will keep you fairly well informed regarding the big photo opps. However critters have a tendency to pop out just about anywhere at anytime time so be ready. The scenery has a way of doing the same thing. They say the weather changes every ten minutes or ten miles. This provides for dramatic landscapes. Enjoy your cruise and welcome to our state.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Gale and Matt,

Thanks. Hopefully, I will have a picture or two to show when we get back.

Gary

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    gary,

Wishing you a wonderful cruise.

Can only say I sure am jealous.

Hope your photo ops are wonderful. Will look foward to the great images.

6. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Have fun

DO post som einfor and pics when you return. My wife and I are leaving in July for the same cruise. I have the same questions...

Have a great time - we are down to 58 days and counting....

7. GaryW

GaryW Guest

8. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Sweet. Lookslike you had a great time and some wonderful sceanery. Seems a tad-bit cool yet. Great pictures and a wonderful web site.

Thanx for sharing.

9. Thanks for sharing, Gary. We have friends who have taken the Alaskan Cruise and they have nothing but positive to say about it. You seem like you had a good time and perhaps do it again?

My wife and I are thinking about it, so your pictures gave me a lot of "preview".

Thanks again.

sarhento

10. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Sarhento,

If you do the same cruise, you might want to take something longer than your 70-300. I had a 70-200VR with a 2xTC on it for the humpbacks and the bear and I could have used more. There is a law in Alaska that you cannot encroach on a humpback whale less than 100 yards.

I loved the cruise, but I don't think I would do it again. It's one of those "been there, done that" things. One good thing about our cruise is that the 3 towns in Alaska that we visited are only accessible via boat or plane - no roads to them. That was wierd, because Juneau is the capital of Alaska.

Gary