Alaskan King Crab Claws -- 2nd PHOTO ADDED

I can't show these photos to my wife until Saturday night. That's because if I show them sooner, she'll know what we're having for supper that night and she prefers being surprised. The luxurious meat is appropriate considering that it will be the first meal we've had with anyone in our home since the pandemic began. Let the celebration begin!

Mike 2021-05-07--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2021-05-08--0001-S.jpg

Setup for Photo #1
The tabletop is black, glossy, opaque acrylic and the background, which is not adequately displayed in this photo of the setup, is black velvet. The black velvet was reflected in the tabletop. The lamp on the left was actually farther away from the scene than displayed in this photo. I positioned it farther away than usual so light raked across the textured shells would create harder shadows than usual. The white reflector on the right brightened the tips of the claws. Ten focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.
Mike 2021-05-07--0002-S.jpg

Setup for Photo #2
The tabletop is made of two pieces of vinyl tile of the same model. The diffusion socks on the lamps created very soft shadows. The white, textured art paper on the left that brightened the rear part of the scene had initially been intended to be included as the background but that background wasn't included after adjusting the perspective distortion. Eight focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings.
Mike 2021-05-08--0002-S.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Binnur!

Not good for cholesterol, but certainly delicious meal.

Also not good for the wallet. This is a very special dish that my wife and I eat usually no more than twice each year and only at special celebrations. My aunt (long ago deceased) taught me how to make this dish at my request, so it's also got special sentimental value for me.

great shots Mike. Do you just set that, maybe adjust a little, and go, or, like me, do you take 100 shots and make two dozen adjustments to get your final images? Which for me still would not be nearly that good.

Thank you also to Rick and demiro!

As for the cholesterol, I recently suggested to my doctor that we lower my statin prescription from 20mg to 10mg. That's because my former doctor that made the prescription settled on 20mg in a rather arbitrary fashion. When I changed to 10mg, my numbers looked just as good, so we're sticking with 10mg until there is a reason to change.

Do you just set that, maybe adjust a little, and go, or, like me, do you take 100 shots and make two dozen adjustments to get your final images?

First, I establish in my mind's eye the composition I have in mind. In some cases, I sketch the composition before even entering my makeshift studio. As I then begin setting up the scene, the changes to my initial plan that are necessary become obvious. Those changes include not just the rather fine tweaking of where each item is placed but also the addition or removal of some items. Once the scene is set as I think I want it, I set up the lighting. Doing so occasionally requires that I fine tune the placement of the items in the scene because the placement of the shadows sometimes interferes with the placement of the other items, especially when the shadows are medium-hard or harder. Once I get everything as I think I want it, if I'm the least bit doubtful about anything, I release the shutter and immediately examine the image on my computer so I have the luxury of a far larger display than is available on the camera. If I find a problematic issue, I tweak the setup whether it has to do with the lighting or the composition and then release the shutter one last time.

I wonder if you're familiar with the thread we've got going that discusses tabletop photography techniques at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/discuss-tabletop-photography-techniques.323662/ If you have a special interest in food photography, take a look at posts #222 and #224 on page 12 of that thread for my thoughts about a newly released book that I highly recommend.

Thank you also to Rick and demiro!

As for the cholesterol, I recently suggested to my doctor that we lower my statin prescription from 20mg to 10mg. That's because my former doctor that made the prescription settled on 20mg in a rather arbitrary fashion. When I changed to 10mg, my numbers looked just as good, so we're sticking with 10mg until there is a reason to change.

First, I establish in my mind's eye the composition I have in mind. In some cases, I sketch the composition before even entering my makeshift studio. As I then begin setting up the scene, the changes to my initial plan that are necessary become obvious. Those changes include not just the rather fine tweaking of where each item is placed but also the addition or removal of some items. Once the scene is set as I think I want it, I set up the lighting. Doing so occasionally requires that I fine tune the placement of the items in the scene because the placement of the shadows sometimes interferes with the placement of the other items, especially when the shadows are medium-hard or harder. Once I get everything as I think I want it, if I'm the least bit doubtful about anything, I release the shutter and immediately examine the image on my computer so I have the luxury of a far larger display than is available on the camera. If I find a problematic issue, I tweak the setup whether it has to do with the lighting or the composition and then release the shutter one last time.

I wonder if you're familiar with the thread we've got going that discusses tabletop photography techniques at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/discuss-tabletop-photography-techniques.323662/ If you have a special interest in food photography, take a look at posts #222 and #224 on page 12 of that thread for my thoughts about a newly released book that I highly recommend.
Thanks for that detail on your process Mike, and the link to tabletop discussion. I had not seen that thread. Great stuff.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
If there is one food that would absolutely stop me from being plant-based, it’s crab legs. The photographs, Mike, are excellent, and what a meal you are going to have!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom