Alaskan landscapes (long)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Philippe Roger, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Still from that fishing trip (described here), so you get an idea of the scenery. It's not much and certainly not as good as what you'd expect from a cruise alongside the glaciers and all, but I thought some turned out alright.

This one from, taken from home-base (Craig, Ak) is made of 7 shots with the 24-120VR, stitched with Autostitch. [Click on it to get a better view]
    [​IMG]

Early morning ride
    [​IMG]

Not all mornings are alike!
    [​IMG]

During the day: is your stomach working a number on you? :mrgreen: ;-)
    [​IMG]

Late light (after 9pm ;-)): can you spot 2 eagles? :p
    [​IMG]

A few minutes later...
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. d_ip

d_ip

Mar 18, 2005
    Alberta, Canada
    Phillip,
    I like the dramatic sky of the #2. Thanks for sharing.

:wink:

3. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Philippe,

All I can say ....Artistic, Wonderful Visions, simply PERFECT !

Thanks for posting

Regards

RFC

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You came home with some just super images.. Good job.

Love them

5. Philippe, excellent photos!!!!
    It's hard to pick a favorite, I like them all!
    Thanks for sharing :-D

6. very nice indeed. I would love to go there

7. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Phillipe

#2, #4 and #5 are out of the world. I am headed to Denali and Seward day after tomorrow. I would be mighty proud if I got a few like you did.

anand

8. Why, thank you so much for the compliments folks (blush :oops:). To all of you considering a trip up North: just do it! 8) Anand, have lots of fun, take as long a glass as you can, and as wide as you can: you'll use those 2 the most! ;-) :lol:

9. Awesome love #2 and # 3 very good eye you ahve there I always enjoy your posts keep them coming

10. Very nice Philippe, I like the pano and #2...beautiful!

11. Magnifique Philippe !

#4 has quite an original point of view. Thanks for sharing. I think #2 is the one that really attracks me the most, like I want to be there too.

12. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    These are perfect in every way. Don't know how I could pick a favorite. Looks like a beautiful place for a trip. Is there an online gallery where I could see the exif? I love to learn from great pictures like these.

13. Roman, Mike, Vinod, Christian, thank you for commenting and letting me know your favorite. I like those you mentioned as well: pano, #2 and late light, in no particular order.

A little secret? #2 is a digital blend of one capture, exposed to the right (much like you do Roman). I used the technique described here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

Terri, thanks for looking and commenting. The gallery is available here, but if you download IExifer from www.opanda.com, you'll be able to right click on the pics right here at the cafe, too! 8) :) Also, all pics are shot in Raw, initially processed with Capture or RawMagick Lite and further processed in Photoshop (rotation, crop, USM, framing, etc...)

Thanks, folks! I had a great time, with both the camera and the fishing pole! ;-) :lol:

14. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Phillipe, thanks, I am carrying a tokina 12-24, but my longest glass is only a 70-200 f/2.8 VR, I flirted with buying a 300 and a TC1.7, but with a 15month old to carry, I can't lug any more weight :(

15. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks for the great shots!

I'm going latter August, cruising south, with side trips, and will use my 24-120VR & 80-400VR.

16. Hi Philippe,

Nice captures! No's 2, 4 and 5 are my favourites. :) :)

I haven't been to Alaska in 30 years. Your shots make me want to do a return trip.

17. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Philippe

Magnificant,these are the pictures you never get tired to see,I'm going there one day beautifull sceneries

18. Excellent images Phillipe and accompanied with a story as well. I did spot the eagles by the way.

19. Thanks much Ken, Dennis, Hans, Gordon and everyone for looking.

Gordon, good eyes! 8) You get extra credit for spotting the eagles: they are on the phone pole (on the middle truss) and at the very top of the tree on the very far right. These birds were everywhere, and in large numbers, quite a sight! :p

20. Johan

Johan

Jun 18, 2005
    Belgium
    Phillipe,

I'm glad that I have found the rest of your photos of you fishing trip. They are really striking. The atmosphere that they breath out is really peaceful. Normally I say, well this one and that one are my favorites, but that is impossible here, they are all superb !!!

Keep up the good work Phillipe

btw: What was the biggest trout you caught out there :)

Kind Regards

Johan