Alaskan (sea) mammals

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Philippe Roger, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Here are some more pics from my recent fishing trip to Southern Alaska. I am sure that there is a lot of wildlife and mammals in particular (elks, caribous, bears, wolfes, etc...) on land, but being on a boat, on a mission (salmon fishing ;-)), was not exactly the right environment for those animals, so these will have to do:

Solitary sea lion (on the full size pic, one can clearly see his right eye following the camera!!)
    [​IMG]

A whole colony taking a sun bath (with the occasional dip in the water, as seen on the left):
    [​IMG]

They can be vocal and "in your face"! ;-)
    [​IMG]

But they seem to just relax a lot. :lol:
    [​IMG]

The biggest mammal of all: if you squint a bit, you might discern water projected from the blow-hole...
    [​IMG]

... and 2 seconds later:
    [​IMG]

Note that the whale was probably over 1/2 mile away and the boat was not part of any whale sighting expedition, so that's the best I could do and never saw it again...

I was able to capture some other mammals, but they were of the 2 legged kind. ;-) I'll post some in the people section later: I have still got to process them...

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice shots Philippe. The colors are incredibly vibrant. And I didn't even have to squint to see the whales big blow. :wink:

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am green with envy.

gorgeous shots.

thanks for sharing.

So many great images posted today.

I can't look any more. 4 Am comes early.

So night all.......

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Philippe! It always amazes me that sea lions can get that high up on the rocks! Probably get tidal help, but it's still interesting to see.

5. They're all great, Philippe! I especially like the composition on the 3rd one. The nice rich, brown lines against the rocks is very nice!

6. Now these are some excellent NGS photos Philippe!!! :shock:
    Gale turned green, I turned blue... ;-)
    I'm sure you have more, so hit 'em... we might change colors afterall... :lol:

7. Great jobon all of these sounds liek a trip of the lifetime. I really enjoy seeing these shots with a view of the animals natural habitat.

8. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    These are beautiful shots Phillippe, well done.

Catch them in the wild (and not in Pier 39) is a great satisfaction.

9. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Very nice sharpness and color on the sea lion shots. As for the Megapterra novaeangliae, sometimes you can get close, other times not. When feeding deep, they can and do stay down for up to 30 minutes. 3-5 is more typical, but I've seen 20 minute dive times. If they travel at 3 mph, they can come up 1 mile away, take a breath or two and back down. One sighting does not guaranty more. Come to MA sometime, things are finally starting to wind up. The last weeks' reports have action all around. I'm going on 3 trips this weekend, I'll be dead by Monday am, but I think the sightings will be worth it!