Albino Lady's Slipper?

I found this Lady's Slipper orchid yesterday in the forest beside the trail I hike regularly:

_Z505447.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My wife, who is a bit of a wildflower expert, points out the it has all of the physical characteristics of the pink variety except the color. She thinks it may be an albino.

For reference, here are examples of the pink and yellow varieties:

_Z505431.jpg

_Z505382.jpg

I think your pale one is a developing normally coloured moccasin flower. I have a picture of a similarly coloured one at the same stage of development. Wikipedia has a photo of a white one and it is an immaculate white. I bet that if you check it in a few days it will be purple.

I think your pale one is a developing normally coloured moccasin flower. I have a picture of a similarly coloured one at the same stage of development. Wikipedia has a photo of a white one and it is an immaculate white. I bet that if you check it in a few days it will be purple.

You're probably right, and that was my initial thought when I saw it. But studying the pictures, I was almost convinced that it would be a yellow one. There has been no change in color between yesterday and today, but I'll keep checking.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I found this Lady's Slipper orchid yesterday in the forest beside the trail I hike regularly:

My wife, who is a bit of a wildflower expert, points out the it has all of the physical characteristics of the pink variety except the color. She thinks it may be an albino.

For reference, here are examples of the pink and yellow varieties:

Time to revisit it from time to time...

Kind regards
Klaus

Here's a link to a friend's blog. He is an incredible naturalist, writer and photographer. Here he shows pinks, yellows and a white variant.

Ohio Birds and Biodiversity

Thanks, Mike, that is an interesting article. And he shows a real albino specimen.

I went back yesterday to check on the progress of the blossom that fooled me, and it was gone without a trace. Do deer or other animals eat them? The whole plant was just missing.

What's blooming in the bog now?

I can relate to the problem of stolen plants discussed in that link. This clump...

_JZ62930.jpg

has been a reliable bloomer for many years near a trailhead in the National Forest a few miles from me. A week or so after this picture was made on May 3 last year, they disappeared. This year, they are not there.

Real Name
Mike
Thanks, Mike, that is an interesting article. And he shows a real albino specimen.

I went back yesterday to check on the progress of the blossom that fooled me, and it was gone without a trace. Do deer or other animals eat them? The whole plant was just missing.

What's blooming in the bog now?
Deer will eat orchids. We keep some of our rarest orchids fenced off so the deer do not get them. Even if they are eaten, they should grow back.

Poaching is becoming a major issue. There are growing illegal trade networks of protected species, both plants and animals. It is very concerning. Most species will not survive outside of their native environments. Most people just see something pretty and want it. It will be dead shortly and gone forever.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom