Alcatraz... What do you think...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by ghursh, Jul 3, 2007.

1. alaskahutch

alaskahutch

Jun 22, 2006
    Soldotna
    Interesting images which bring all sorts of peril and misery to mind. Mostly, though, I think I don't want to live there.

2. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    ghursh, Interesting. More color than I was antisapting though. I see all you shots were between 18 and 55mm. We are going on the tour on the 14th. I was'nt sure what lens to take but was leaning towards the 18-70 and keeping it light. Let me know what you thought of the tour.

3. I found the 12-24 was most useful on Alcatraz. I think (given your list) that the 18-70 is your best choice. :smile:

ghursh, how did you get down to that location for the shot that's on the bottom right (and middle row left) ?

4. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Ghursh,
    Very nice. You've managed to capture the feeling of Alcatraz as it probably was when it was operating as a prison. Very good work.
    Mike

5. amazing set of images. captures to the sordid soul of the place.

6. ghursh

ghursh

Jul 3, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ
    the `8-55 was great for most of it however there were a few times i had to change to my 70-200

7. ghursh

ghursh

Jul 3, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ
    Middle row left was walking up the main road before the first turn... the other is down where they show the films about the island

8. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    WOW, top right and bottom left, you can almost hear the inmates in there. Very nice!

9. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Oh, Ghursh...welcome to the Cafe'.

10. A very nice collection of shots. I enjoyed viewing them.

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Nice. Glad I dont live there :)

Regards

RFC

12. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Hi Ghursh,

We just returned from our 2 week Monterey / SFO trip (literally just turned on the computer). It was great meeting you on the F Line in San Francisco last week!!!! Glad you found the Nikon Cafe. I hope you find it as helpful as I have. Great bunch of down to earth, helpful people!!!!

I have a large number of raw images to examine, so don;t look for any posts for awhile. Wife and I carried 2 bodies at Alcatraz:

I took D2X + 70-200VR and D200 + 17-55/2.8

Corinne took D200 + 17-55 / 2.8 and D80 + 70-300VR.

We spend a lot of effort capturing the baby gulls and birds of all kinds at Alcatraz, which demands a 200mm minimum. I HS cropped my 200mm quite frequently.

I like your images. I usually do the colors straight up, but, hey, your creativity shows!!

Welcome to the Cafe!!!!

Your new friend from KY,

John