Alien Bees lightstand - Overkill?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by barriosa, Jul 19, 2007.

1. I’m shopping for a lightstand. My intention is to use it strobist style with two SB800’s for now but eventually I might invest in a couple of Alien Bee’s B400 or B800’s for use with large groups.

My question is should I play it safe and get one of the light stands from Alien Bee’s or are there less expensive alternatives that can support the weight of their lighting kits?

I’ve checked a dozen or so light stands at B&H and Adorama and none of them specify what is the maximum weight they can handle.

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    For use outside, the AB stands (are you looking at the HD type?) will be much sturdier and less likely to fall over in a breeze. Indoors, you can get away with lightweight stands. Just about anything will support the negligible weight of a SB800. If you plan to get studio strobes in the future, get the AB stands (make sure they are the heavy duty ons though).

3. Thanks for the info John.

4. If you plan to eventually upgrade to ABs, just get the 13' HD stand and be done with it. You'll never outgrow them.

5. Thanks Czechman01. This was the model I was thinking about.

A little overkill for now but I'm trying to plan ahead for formals of large groups.

I'll still need to order that part that holds the umbrella and the flash. I didn't see them on their website so I hope its a standard part.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  6. I don't have the air cushioned ones but that's probably more to do with my budget than anything. For $100... why not.

The stand comes with a standard post but I'm not sure if it's what you need for your setup.

7. I have a couple of $70 stands and a couple of $30 air dampened stands.

I prefer the $30 stands. The bigger ones are nice when I need more height, though.

8. Well I ordered the stand and one of their umbrellas to get the ball rolling. I know I will eventually get one of their lighting kits so I'm sure I will order more soon.

9. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

all I know at this early juncture in my lighting education is that all the flimsy light stands are, well.....flimsy. Put an umbrella on one and its liuterally gone with the wind.

I am now using tripods as light stands

10. HulaMike,
    Well thats not the reason I bought the heavier ones but I guess they are bound to me more stable than the light weight ones. My reason for ordering those was planning for AB lights in the future, and none of the lightstands I looked at at Adorama or B&H would state the max weight they would support.

Oh and as far as Flimsy light stands go how you ever seen Uncle Mike's outdoor kit?

11. I use a couple Bogen 8' stands that I bought off eBay. They're light, but if there's much wind I use a couple dumbells to secure them. If there's more wind than the dumbells can secure, I know I shouldn't be using the equipment at that time.

12. Well, their umbrellas attach to their strobes.

13. Well I'll guess I'll find out Monday if I can use the standard mount

14. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    To work with a SB800/600 all light stands need an adaptor that has hot shoe and umbrella holder.

15. Picked one up today.

16. Just got it delivered and there is no problem with using their stuff with my SB800 via the adapter. My only issue is I'm pretty sure the one the sent me was returned by someone else. Its in pretty great shape but I noticed a few scratches that shouldn't be on a brand new lightstand.

17. Call them and complain. They have an outstanding Customer Service Department and shipping damaged goods is definitely not their style.

18. Does this look normal to you? I already emailed them and attached the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]