Alien Bees octabox?

Anyone here using the Alien Bees octabox? I'm curious about which size you are using as well as the ease of use and construction.

Not sure if I should buy these or step up to a more costly octabox option. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the medium and large foldable octaboxes. They work well. very easy to put up and take down. I wish the ribs would stay in position when it is folded - they tend to come out of the pockets and you have to untangle them. More of a minor irritation though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the medium and large foldable octaboxes. They work well. very easy to put up and take down. I wish the ribs would stay in position when it is folded - they tend to come out of the pockets and you have to untangle them. More of a minor irritation though.

Thanks, John. Is the medium only good for a single person portrait? I'm trying to get a feel for whether I need to buy the large if I am shooting a family group of 3-5 people.

I have a few in their largest option, however I do not have foldable ones.

They are a bit tough to put together and take down, but you will get used to it after a while. They take a good beating too.

I used the big one with AB Ring flash. Glamor. The medium size one is too small for group.

Last edited by a moderator:
For an octo if you have the ab lights get the large foldable one. octabox's are a pain in the butt to set up. I have a 36" (not AB ) but it is only good for one person.

Dan

I used the big one with AB Ring flash. Glamor. The medium size one is too small for group.
Interesting. Any reason why you would use the ring flash with the OB? Don't you lose the ring flash 'look' when you do that? Is there any advantage in using the ringflash over a regular strobe in the OB?

I have found that if you are going to set it up & leave it great....if you are going to be using this on the move ....forget it!....takes too much time & having a second person to help is a good idea.....I have been using Brolly Boxes or reverse umbrellas to shoot through ....great light easy & fast.....you can get these from AB or cheaper(not too bad) from Amvona....

I have the original large octabox - it's a pain to put together and tear down. Depending on what you're shooting you can probably get away with the medium octabox - get the foldable version - 2 seconds to setup/teardown - open like umbrella and lock in place. Simple. For doing portraits of the kids (that you already do really well), a medium foldable softbox should perfect. For groups of 3-5 you may be able to get away with a medium box, just move it back to spread out the light - if you think that will be tough go for the large one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just got the large, foldable octabox from AB. It is pretty easy to assemble. I'm quite pleased with the soft, wraparound light. Pretty good value for the money. I'm not quite sure what you get for the money when you spend 2-3 times what mine cost.

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

I'm not quite sure what you get for the money when you spend 2-3 times what mine cost.
Quality modifiers that withstand abuse(fabrics, seems etc), and have no variation in color. Been reports of AB (and other "cheaper") modifiers where the front baffels has been "yellowish" or "developed" it after sometime.

Just by mounting them you will notice the diffrence in build.You get what you pay for.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom