Alien Critter! ID PLEASE!

I found this on my plant and thought it was some kind of pod. Then it moved, and I got real excited! I had my husband holding the branch to turn it, so there is some movement when I shot. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

AlienBug_2822-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AlienBug_2806-L.jpg

AlienBug_2823-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Am I correct that this is a swallowtail caterpillar? I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I get lots of Monarch caterpillars (there's a chrysalis right now about two branches below this thing), but I've never seen any other caterpillars in my yard. This particular shrub was planted last year, so maybe it's attracting new caterpillars. This is all very exciting for me! Thanks for your info!

It could be the caterpillar from a Hawk, Sphinx or Hummingbird moth... There are probably
dozens (hundreds...?) of versions of each and their caterpillars are just as varied...

Here's a google image search...

http://www.google.com/search?q=sphi...jVqQHX9oDoBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1053&bih=589

If you scroll through a bit there are many similar to yours... It should give you an idea of the variety
of these kind of caterpillars and the moths they turn into...

Nice find and super images, dossy, well done...! :cool:

It could be the caterpillar from a Hawk, Sphinx or Hummingbird moth... There are probably
dozens (hundreds...?) of versions of each and their caterpillars are just as varied...

Here's a google image search...

http://www.google.com/search?q=sphi...jVqQHX9oDoBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1053&bih=589

If you scroll through a bit there are many similar to yours... It should give you an idea of the variety
of these kind of caterpillars and the moths they turn into...

Nice find and super images, dossy, well done...! :cool:
Thank you so much, William. I looked through the images. This particular one seems to have almost no markings except those eyes. But it does seem to be a type of moth caterpillar. I was fascinated by the varieties. Thanks again for the link!

Thank you so much, William. I looked through the images. This particular one seems to have almost no markings except those eyes. But it does seem to be a type of moth caterpillar. I was fascinated by the varieties. Thanks again for the link!

You're welcome, dossy...! :smile:

It's hard to tell just which moth caterpillar it is because there are so many
moths that are related but slightly different than each other...

Excellent images! Good eye!
Thanks Karen! It took me a while to find it again this morning. It just blends in so well with the leaves, and it seems to like to feed up-side-down from the underside of the leaf.
I'm going with the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail caterpillar. I'm pretty sure that's the owner of that pretty little face!

Thanks for the info, Donna! I'm happy I'm not the only one who loves that face!

I found this on my plant and thought it was some kind of pod. Then it moved, and I got real excited! I had my husband holding the branch to turn it, so there is some movement when I shot. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

Hi Dossy
I hope you are not a racist :smile:, and like this pretty little creature just because it looks good, and not because it does something to your garden after it changes its looks.

I dont know its name, and I dont care, I think its a great picture with a story to tell, and its one I more than one´s look at.
For me that´s all that matters with an image :smile:
Nico

Hi Dossy
I hope you are not a racist :smile:, and like this pretty little creature just because it looks good, and not because it does something to your garden after it changes its looks.

I dont know its name, and I dont care, I think its a great picture with a story to tell, and its one I more than one´s look at.
For me that´s all that matters with an image :smile:
Nico
Thank you, Nico!
Oh my god.

please keep shooting this. wonderful

I want to see what emerges!
Thanks so much! I tracked it all morning, but this evening it disappeared. The plant that I found it on has bees and spiders, so I can't just jump in to look for it! I'm going to try again tomorrow. I really like this what-ever-it-is!

Latest threads

Top Bottom