Alien Flower

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Flew, May 15, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I went down to the pond again today with forum members Greg Giesing and Chris Knight. Not much birdie activity today, so after Greg left, Chris and I went looking for flowers. We got some nice ones, but one in particular caught our attention. It had several bloom configurations, and looked like something that you'd find on another planet. 8)

I have no idea what it is, but here are the shots that I got. If you know what it is, I'd appreciate an ID. Taken with the D2H / 300mm f2.8 + TC-14EII. I never cease to be amazed at the capabilities of this lens. ;-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking in.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hush with the lenses already..

The devil put a 70-200 VR VR VR and tele-converter and and and and, in my buy cart at B&H.. Don't know how to get them out.

You guys are soooooo bad.

I'm going to be in the poorer house.

Oh yeah, lol Excellent images . Pretty weed ya got there. :>)) j/k

I have no Idea what planet you were on today.

Share the meds will ya.

3. Talk about nice flower images, you guys really got them this time. That is a beautiful capture Frank.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gordon and Gale. I'm like most folks here and enjoy the compliments. 8)

I do have to add a comment on your post Gale. You have one of the most humorous ways of writing that I have ever read. Maybe a complete stranger wouldn't appreciate it as much as I do, but let me tell you. Your posts almost always make me at least smile, if not break out in giggles. :lol:

Can't wait to get together in a couple of weeks. We are going to have a great time.

Oh, and BTW, I can highly recommend the 70-200VR. What are a few missed meals compared to one of the best lenses you'll ever own? :wink:

5. Wonderful detail and colors Frank!! You really picked some good ones to capture!! Well done!! :D :D :D

6. Hi Frank,

Really «scary» flowers. They give me goose bumps and it's all the faults of the Nikon 300mm /2.8 :D

Congrats for beautiful flower pictures, sharp (one can clearly see the leaves texture) and with vivid colors.

Besides, I take the plunge for a 70-200mm VR. Can't hold myself in place waiting the order to come in.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Very nice marco work...

8. I recognize that flower...

It's Seymour's flower from Little shop of horrors.

9. Gale, we all have to go through this from time to time. Fortunately, in my case it comes in waves, so I (or better my account) have time to recover. At the moment, though, I'm in grave danger again, a nice 85mm PC cast a smile at me and I'm afraid I will not be able to resist - unless my wife chimes in with some of her verbal antidotes.
    cheers

10. I love this kind of big thistles - as long as I don't have to walk through a pasture full with them and wearing shorts :lol: :lol:
    Very photogenic plant, and nicely captured.

11. I know that this sounds daft but it REALLY looks like some type of ARTICHOKE. In fact had it been blue, i would have said it was one.

Try looking at the Carduus species, and MUSK or NODDING THISTLES. Could be about right.

BW. Bob F

12. Hi Bob!
    How are you doing?
    Artichoke was my first thought, too, but it's too small for that. Really looks like some Carduus species, but definitely not C. nutans, which BTW, I know very well because it was one of the subjects of my first thesis (many beetles feed on and develop in that plant).

Cheers

13. Frank,
    You did good!!!!!!!!!! why do you need a macro???
    You can take plant life pics on the moon from here with that lens.

14. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Frank,
    Nice sequence! You are showing numerous stages of the flower bud opening into the the full "flower", actually a head of flowers. Each individual "thing" in an individual flower. Since I can't see all of the plant, it is a thistle, but which genus I cannot ascertain. A fantastic group of shots!
    My best,
    Jerry Snider

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,

You are funny. 8)

Actually, I was wishing that I had carried my 70-200 and the 500D down to where these were. I may go back a lunch today and try again.

Thanks,

16. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    You guys were close when you thought it looked like an artichoke...the artichoke is in the thistle family. If you've ever been to Castroville, CA where they grow them and you've seen one fully opened,you'd know why!!! OOOH,,,yummmy, all I need is some melted butter.

Those are nice shots Frank! The 1st and 4th are my faves!

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob,

I think that you've hit it pretty close. I think that it is a Canada Thistle (Cirsium arvense).

Thanks,

18. I hate to disagree with other peoples IDs especially if they live in the continent in question, but I am really not sure if C.arvense is correct.

Let me explain. A lot of what I see taken and shown on the 'cafe' is strange to me, but as Harry S will confirm; if you have a reasonable knowledge of something then you can generally get close to what it MAY BE. So when somebody says that it is a ---- I look it up on the web. This is one way I learn about American species. So I have looked up C. arvense and there is a massive difference between this and what I am seeing. Look at the bracts below the flower. On C. arvense they are not as prominent as with this flower. Hence my first thought that it was an artichoke. The bracts are always visible whatever stage of the flower is in.

Obviously I stand to be corrected but I am loathe to ID something unless I am very sure. This was a lesson I learnt very early in my N.H.Photographers career. I was shot down in flames by an entomologist at Oxford Scientific Films; who later went on to work at the Smithsonian in the USA, and since then I have been ultra careful.

FLEW could well be right but I am just not sure.

BW. Bob F.

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Rub it in Flewwwww !!!!!!!

I came home and looked in the infamous B&H cart and a sweet Angel took out the 70-200 VR VR VR and tele-convert out of the cart :>)))))

Dao and Harry you are nooooo help here....

(off looking for the devil)

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Dang Bob, you are a stickler for accuracy. 8)

You are probably right though, and I probably jumped the gun on the ID. The first pictures that I looked at on a web site were not very good, and I made the ID from them. Should have looked further.

So have we decided that it is likely some form of artichoke??