Alien Flower

Pa,

I've seen your posts and you have no reason to hold back. As for the lens, they can be had used as low as $2,800. It isn't necessarily the best choice for this kind of shot though. It's just what I had with me.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hi Frank.

I really am sorry to be such a pain in the backside. It think it is some type of Musk/Nodding Thistle but do not know which one.

Another reason for of my pedantic attitude comes from judging some of your PSA Photographic Exhibitions. We were taught to deduct points for incorrect IDs and hence we really had to now our stuff. I suppose its a bit like any other enthusiast hearing somebody call his pride and joy a Ford Constellation when it is actually a Dodge Viper.
LOL Bob F

Hey Bob,

It is not a problem at all. We could stand a more little rigor in our approach to this hobby. How else are we going to learn and grow? I honestly can't believe how much I've learned about birds in the last year, even though I've only scratched the surface. I'm just starting to develop an interest in flowering plants.

BTW, the Musk (or Nodding) Thistle (Carduus nutans) examples that I've found look pretty darn close to these shots to me.

Thanks,

I could not agree more. I have seen some absolutely marvellous bird photos of species I had no idea even existed, and Jim Fenton's work is a inspiration to us all. As a newbie to birds I just marvel of what this member can achieve.

BW. Bob F.

Great shots Frank, very detailed! Handheld? I'd be interested in seeing what you can do with the 70-200/500D combo. It's perfect for this situation....

To TOLady. I'm free.
I will carry your equipment and you can carry mine:- D70-D2H 2x18-70mm-70-300mmED-80-400mm VR-90mm Tamron Macro DI- a CF. Manfrotto tripod - a Manfrotto monopod- 2 heads-SB 800 + lots of close-up attachents like tubes and bellows etc.

SO a trekking we will go.

BW. Bob F.

Frank, that sure is some lens! Loved your flower shots. It would be fun to see what you can do the the 70-200 and 500D. I hope you get time to take more shots today!

Virginia
aka beaucamera

Bob the Spiderman said:
Let me explain. A lot of what I see taken and shown on the 'cafe' is strange to me, but as Harry S will confirm; if you have a reasonable knowledge of something then you can generally get close to what it MAY BE.
Or still get it completely wrong. In one of my above posts I definitely excluded Carduus nutans. I have to revise this now. I looked around a bit and found out that this damn plant can look very different in different places. Also, it isn't always "nodding". So, the probability that this is C. nutans is very high.
I'll go for my deserved whip-lashes now ...

Cheers

Hey Frank,
Haven't had a change to vist the forum for a few days and just now got to see some posts. Your shots are fantastic and doing it with the 300mm makes them interesting.
Pete

Thanks Pete. It is a wonderful lens.

Sandi, to answer your question, it was shot from my Gitzo 1325 tripod and Wimberley head. I'm hoping to get out later this afternoon to try it with the 70-200VR and 500D.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom