Alien with 500D

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Flew, May 23, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, I made it back to the pond where I shot the alien flower (Musk Thistle) last weekend. As you might recall, I shot the original series with the 300 2.8 + TC-14EII (not exactly a macro lens, but what I had mounted at the time....;-)). This time, I took the 70-200VR + Canon 500D.

The first thing that I noticed was the the latter set-up was a real pain in the a$$ to set-up and shoot with. These flowers were on a creek bank, in a mass of other plants (weeds). With the 70-200VR and 500D, I had to get to within about 16 inches of the target. With the 300 + 1.4 TC, the working distance was much more convenient (about 5 feet).

In any case, the 70-200 + 500D probably gave a tad better images, although the bokeh with the 300 + 1.4 TC was much better (not a totally fair comparison, since I shot at different apertures, but....). Here are some comparison shots. You be the judge.

300 + 1.4:
    [​IMG]

70-200VR + 500D:
    [​IMG]

300 + 1.4:
    [​IMG]

70-200VR + 500D:
    [​IMG]

So, what do you think??

2. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    All great but #3 is lacking DOF compared to the others. I wouldn't have thought the 300 would have done this good. very interesting. I assume the wind was pretty cooperative that day.

3. I think they look great Frank, for $2300 bucks difference, I could live with it. LOL...........Quite surpised how the ol' 300mm did, great job!

Keith

4. Frank,

Thank you for posting the comparison. I just purchased a 500D for my 70-200VR. I want to try it out soon at the Water Lily park near Frederick, Maryland as soon as weather warms up a bit.

I have to admit that I didn't realize how close you have to get to the subject for focusing....Duh! Momentary lapse (close up filter versus teleconverter). :oops:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gotta say Flew, 500D hands down.....

I don't know why I was amazed also how close you have to get. dud here too.

I like the second image the best. Can see the whole flower.

Excellent job of the last 500D. Great composition.

The 500D images are clear as a bell.

They are all good.

Close up stuff is a bet tricky for sure. However you did a great job.

6. Hey Frank, it does seem the 500D images are crisper but in the samples you've shown, I prefer images #1 & #3 -- really cool! :)

7. Great Pics, I like the composition (and the little bug in #3 and #4).

the 70-200 with the Canon 500D is a killer combination
    (I find the zoom very usefull for framing the shoot)

since I got the 500D, this combo gets more used then my Sigma 105Macro.
    If it weren`t so heavy.... :wink:

8. Greg

Greg

Apr 5, 2005
    Fayetteville, TN
    Frank, can you tell me the aperture and focal length on the last one. It sure looks good.

9. WOW! Frank, these are with out a doubt fantastic. I like them all. I have the combo and have the 300mm 4. Which 300mm did you use? I've got to get out more often and try the wild flowers. Keep them coming.
    Pete

10. I second that question, because the results look very good.

11. Interesting comparison, Frank. The 500D certainly gives more depth of field, but you don't always want it. I think the 3rd one looks great with the shallower depth of field and, here on the web, the in focus areas certainly look sharp enough. Have you tried printing any of the comparison shots?

Thanks for posting.

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey everyone. I have to apologize to you all. I was out of town and off of the net when many of your responses and questions came in. I've been in catch-up mode since I got back, so I'm just now seeing your posts.

You may get sick of this thread, but I'll try to answer all questions that were posted while I was gone. If you get tired of seeing it over the next few days, just mark it as read. :?

13. Hi Frank,

Glad to see that you are back in town. I especially like the fourth image (especially the bug). I find the combo cumbersome and as I mentioned before, I didn't realize how close you need to be to your subject. I like the output, but I think I will continue to save up for a 200mm micro Nikkor.

14. Hi Frank, the 70-200 + 500D is certainly a nice combo. Love your images.

15. The images I love the most are the same as Gordon, the ones taken with the 70-200

16. WOw that 500d combo is super sharp on the 70-200, I like how you can use a real short DOF with this setup. So how hard is it to focus usnign the 500D I heard there is no room for movemnt with this lens