Alienbees buying

Thinking about spending my money again... anyone know where to get great deals on this?

I see a lot on Fred Miranda - where I got mine :smile:

They are only available new at the Alien Bee website. I just bough an AB 800 and love it.
Will be getting another here in a month or so..

i do have a sb-600 and a sb-800 and i want to do studio fashion work or some sort of work like that, would the ab1600 be good?

i do have a sb-600 and a sb-800 and i want to do studio fashion work or some sort of work like that, would the ab1600 be good?

Depends on what space you have to shoot in. For small studios, the AB1600 is probably too powerful. I mainly use mine outside if I am competing with the sun, or I need to light a large room. I suggest starting with the AB800.

My 2Cents...

Just bought 3 B800's, Light stands, Umbrella's, Softboxes, and the 4 way remote.

Great to deal with, really fast shipping. I love the units...i am now using them everyday in work for the next little while........I LOVE THEM....:smile:

MY 2cents worth...

I have 5 AB400's and I have to crank them way down to keep F5.6 in my garage studio.
All are in softboxes or gridded...

800's would be overkill...

Here is my latest...

vern.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If you know a student, let them buy it for you and get 10% discount.

If you want the real lowdown.....Stick with the AB-800's. They are great! I also have a set of Elinchrom lights, but I still love the AB-800. I had a set of 1600's, but I found in the end the 800 was the right unit for me and they look closer to my Elinchroms.

As far as the beginning bee package, I don't recommend it. Just buy the lights and maybe the triggers there. Stick to Bogen Stands and maybe PhotoFlex Umbrellas. They can both be had at B&H, and their quality is a little bit better.

As far as the lights themselves....You can buy new or used, and they will cost relatively the same. You might save a few dollars by getting them used, but try to find out when they were originally bought, as AlienBees will honor their warranty.

Hope this helps,
GenoP

Shot with 4 AB-800's. 2 Chimera Strip Boxes, 2 AB Grids.

Nikon D2Xs ,Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S
1/125s f/4.0 at 70.0mm iso125
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am a student. where can i get the discount!?

Edit: never i found out how to get the discount!

Hmmm okay, I'll probably just look into the lighting itself. Yeah I think would I want to buy it new for the warranty purposes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew,

You need at least four...
Hairlight, Background light, Main, Fill, and an optional kicker as the fifth...

One light setups really would not work too well in the studio for the majority of paying customers...

One light setups can be very artise, but most paying customers just want well balanced, colorful shots, without any gimmicks.

Do a search for lighting tutorials and you will see... It really is not overkill to have as many as eight... I wish I were there already....

i do have a an sb-800 and sb-600, i can use those?

here are a few shots i shot with 3 light setup. these lights were 2 ab-800s and 1 ab-1600 that a photographer let me used for the day.

well actually, u can just see it on my website at www.andrewliu.us

in the fashion section: the first picture and the following with the white backdrops are all shot with 3 light setup.

also in the portrait section with the make up, those were shot with 3 light set up too.

the body shots were shot with a 18-55 VR and D80.

I just ordered the digi-kit from AB, with a wireless trigger and 2 receivers, I also upgraded one of the B400's to an 800. My package arrives monday, will advise you all of how it goes.
Rob

im so anxious to buy!! i get the 10%!!

i would want a more powerful system cause ill be going out on location to shoot too. and i wouldnt i be getting more if i used a powerful strobe? i dont want to have limitations.

A

Apollux

im so anxious to buy!! i get the 10%!!

i would want a more powerful system cause ill be going out on location to shoot too. and i wouldnt i be getting more if i used a powerful strobe? i dont want to have limitations.

Then you should seriously consider your power outlet needs. All the AB units feed from standard 110v wall outlets, precisely the one you are unlikely to find on a location shot.

They sell the so-called Vagabond II system, and I read only prise about it. Some do a DIY version somehow cheaper (but there are many factors to solve, like pure sine wave and max load behavior, IMO not worth the haste), and yet some people use portable gas generators (and you still have electric wave forms issues to solve). I´m planning to get the Vagabond system for myself.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom