All Assignments Have Been Taken!

Real Name
John DeSanto
Update: Dan White has accepted the assignment in Philadelphia and so NikonCafe members will now be shooting this entire assignment for the Times Herald-Record of Middletown, N.Y. There is a very good chance that this will be the cover story of the Sunday paper on June 10th with a two-page spread inside, so this will be great.

I think it would be interesting and instructive for everyone if we ask the three NC members to compare notes and photos after this has been shot and published. And I'll attempt to arrange something like that next week.

In the meantime, a round of applause for Dan White, Davidzvi and Tommerifc for stepping up to the plate on this!

Okay, Let's try this again.

My newspaper is doing a story about how young people leave the Orange County, N.Y. area and never return. The story will run on the weekend of June 9th and it focuses on three young adults who have moved to Chicago, Philadelphia and Sturbridge, Mass., so I'm looking for three folks in those areas who can handle these assignments.

Now if you remember, I tried this in Washington D.C., and wasn't able to connect with anyone. Pay is the same as last time: $100 for the assignment. Deadline is a little more flexible, since I won't need the photos immediately, but the next day will be fine. We're looking for an environmental portrait from each shoot: You send us two or three, well-lit poses and we'll select the best shot for publication.

I can send you tearsheets from the newspaper and you'll get your shots posted online. I'll give this one until Friday, June 1st before I need to call the local newspapers.

If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll give you more details.

By the way, here is a link to the newspaper website:

http://www.recordonline.com/

If you click on the Photo Gallery, "Vietnam Vet Buried in Arlington" you'll be able to see the 11 photos that were turned in by Jill DiPasquale, the woman I hired to shoot the burial today at Arlington National Cemetery. Jill did a super job on these pix, as I'm sure you'll all agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
John DeSanto
Chicago has been assigned

Okay, Tyrone (Tommerifc) has accepted the Chicago assignment and I know he'll do a super job with it. Several people have expressed interest in Philadelphia and Sturbridge, Mass., but as of yet, I have not given out these assignments.

Anybody else?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Tyrone has accepted the Chicago assignment and I know he'll do a super job with it. Several people have expressed interest in Philadelphia and Sturbridge, Mass., but as of yet, I have not given out these assignments.

Anybody else?

Congratulation Ty!!! We Chicagoans are all proud of you and confident in your abilities to deliver. Good luck and hope to see you this Saturday.

Real Name
John DeSanto
Two down, one to go...

This is great! NikonCafe member Davidzvi has accepted the Sturbridge, Mass., assignment. Now I just need someone I can trust in the Philly area.

Real Name
John DeSanto
Three for three!

I'm ecstatic!

Dan White has accepted the assignment in Philadelphia and so NikonCafe members will now be shooting this entire assignment for the Times Herald-Record of Middletown, N.Y. There is a very good chance that this will be the cover story of the Sunday paper on June 10th with a two-page spread inside, so this will be great.

I think it would be interesting and instructive for everyone to allow the three NC members a chance to compare notes and photos after this has been shot and published. And I'll attempt to arrange something like that next week.

In the meantime, a round of applause for Dan White, Davidzvi and Tommerifc for stepping up to the plate on this!

I'll definitely want to see the result ! Great for you guys , have fun shooting as well :wink:

Oh and John if ever you need a shooter in Paris ... :biggrin:

John I just wanted to chime in and say how great an idea this is. Great exposure for the photogs and some great learning opportunities for all when we get to see the results. Kudos to you.

Drats. Can't you find someone who's moved from OC, NY to San Jose, CA?

Compliments on a very creative approach to staffing, John. I hope you've started a trend!

Real Name
John DeSanto
Yes, David

Davidzvi turned in his six photos this afternoon and I turned them over to the Sunday editor. David's got some good stuff in there. He was able to come up with several different poses both inside and outside the school.

So, go ahead David and post away! But make sure you give us the story behind each picture and how the subject reacted as you directed her in the shots.

Real Name
David
Story? Not really sure there is a story behind each picture but I can tell you how I approached it.

I spoke with Erica over the phone on Thursday. I explained who I was and what, in general terms, an environmental portrait is. Then we spoke about what she taught, liked, and how she felt about the school. She is a self proclaimed science nerd although she currently teaches math, also she referenced how nice the campus of the school is. The school has the high school and tech school combined on one side of the road and the junior high school on the other side of the road. So with that information we went through the school, found an empty science lab, which was easy since it was after school, and set up a little scene. We did the same in her class room. Then we took a little walk around the school looking to see what we could see.

I did almost no post processing on these as I didn't want to push the pixels around too much not knowing exactly what John was going to need to do with them. Also no cropping or staightening so John had more room to work with. John if you want the pics with post processing just let me know, I wasn't if they were going to B&W, color, etc so I sent them as basic as I could. Here are my 3 picks and then one with a little post work done on it:smile::

_DSF1450.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSF1459.jpg

_DSF1447.jpg

Added a little post processing:

_DSF1447_1.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom