All in a Day's Work

Saturday May 14

Up at 2:00 AM, leave Aiken 5:00 AM, arrive Charleston area by 7:30 AM. Full day shoot at the 225th Anniversary of the Siege of Charleston during the American Revolution. Even fired off a couple of shots of the History Channel TV crew in action. Nice folks to chat with!

http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3252735/owner-1e4c.phtml

Should mention that most battle shots were taken during a thunderstorm. That really added to the effects (especially the thunder mixed with cannon booms).
http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3253019/owner-1e4c.phtml

Extra shots of the shooting location. My thanks to **** "snakeman" Winters, author of the book ""Seasoned" with Wildlife", for his personal tour of swamp wildlife. It was nice that those 10 foot gators were his buddies. You birders would love this place. I had no more than 200mm of lens since I wasn't expecting the "tour". Given some more time to spend in the swamp, I could see someone getting some great shots. Mine were all snapshots when you consider I was there for the battle event. At least it will give you an idea. Place is called Magnolia Plantation.
http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3253361/owner-1e4c.phtml

Back in Aiken by 7:30 PM and stopped downtown to get some shots of the Bluegrass Festival (stock magazine if needed).
http://members6.clubphoto.com/larry512016/3253568/owner-1e4c.phtml

It took all day today (Sunday) just to sort, cull, and process web shots. In two weeks, Anderson, SC three day event of hot air balloons. I'll make one day to catch the 100 hot air balloon mass ascension.

Wow Larry,

An empressive day of shooting.

Browsed all the sites you posted.. See some really nice stuff. couldn't look at them all :>)) )

Thank you for sharing.

How do you keep your equipment dry when it rains?

Good job covering this event. Well done. What about this mass uploading, how is that done?

Re: How do you keep your equipment dry when it rains?

Steve S said:
Good job covering this event. Well done. What about this mass uploading, how is that done?

Mass ascension? I think of a stream of soap bubbles coming off the wand. But big bubbles!

Larry,
What a day of shooting that was :!:

That was quite a battle to photograph.

I'm waiting now for the big balloons.. you'll have fun with all that color.

Thanks for sharing these... You are a busy man!

Gaye

Larry Gleason said:
Steve S said:

Mass ascension? I think of a stream of soap bubbles coming off the wand. But big bubbles!
No, what I was asking was how do you actually upload all those pic to your website? And how do you cover your equipment when it rains?

Steve S said:
Larry Gleason said:
Steve S said:

No, what I was asking was how do you actually upload all those pic to your website? And how do you cover your equipment when it rains?

Oh, well mass uploading sounded like a photographer's way of getting the balloons up in the air enmass. By using clubphoto they furnish a program called Photo Drop. After I process any number of web photos I load it to Photo Drop, hit the upload button, abd away they go. I can work on other photos, take a nap, surf the internet, take a nap, check what you have been up too, take a nap. Photo Drop tells me when the upload is completed.

About the only thing I did in the rain this time was put the hood thingy on the front of the lens. I did have a small towel handy to blot up water every so often. As long as the lens doesn't get water on the glass, I don't much worry about it. I suppose that I could have bagged it but didn't. Two years ago when I got caught in a microburst with a tornado overhead, I did put the D1X under the poncho I was wearing that day. That coupled with the 300mm kept me on the ground. Others nearby weren't that lucky. Those little Canons don't have any weight. Of course no one got photos until after the blast passed. Then we all took photos of the damages to the event in case FEMA would help them out (but didn't).

Hi Larry,

I used to live in Charleston for 18 mos. Wish I could have lived there longer. Very beautiful city. Too bad I didn't take advantage of the gorgeous plantations. The one I really wanted to see was Boone Hall. However, I was busy with a newborn infant and a 5 yr old at that time which was from 1992 to the end of 1993.

Planning a trip with my kids this summer. I want to show my 11 year old where he was born. I plan on this time to visit the plantation. I heard that Magnolia is awesome.

One more question Larry. We all know that back in the Civil War, many soldiers lost their hearing while firing off the cannons. How do the reenators prevent this from happening today?

BTW, what can I say except nice pictures.

Thanks for sharing,

Catz said:
Hi Larry,

I used to live in Charleston for 18 mos. Wish I could have lived there longer. Very beautiful city. Too bad I didn't take advantage of the gorgeous plantations. The one I really wanted to see was Boone Hall. However, I was busy with a newborn infant and a 5 yr old at that time which was from 1992 to the end of 1993.

Planning a trip with my kids this summer. I want to show my 11 year old where he was born. I plan on this time to visit the plantation. I heard that Magnolia is awesome.

BTW, what can I say except nice pictures.

Thanks for sharing,

Yes, Charleston is a city and surrounding area to behold for photography. I hope to spend more time there one of these days. The former manager at Redcliffe Plantation is now the manager for historical properties of historical Charleston. He can get me to shooting locations and times not available to the public. Of course I trade photos for those opportunties. Magnolia is impressive and another place that needs more time to explore. Savannah, GA is another photo dream as cities go. Both are 2.5 hour drives for me in different directions and I need to take better advantage of that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom